We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

My Family and I have a vacation planned and now at the last moment are having to find something different. We are thinking of Atlanta. Planning on June 3rd week. We have two children ages 9 & 5 and want to be sure that we keep them busy while enjoying ourselves. So far I have found the Aquarium (that will be a MUST DO on our list) and the Zoo (and this is just a maybe) The biggest question is, has anyone ever done the Pandas & Penguins Combo Ticket that they offer on the Aquarium site? It seems like such a better deal.

Was also looking at Imagine It! and LEGOLAND discovery.

We are hoping to find a place to stay for around $100.00 (or a bit more) a night. Doesn't have to be in the city, but close would be best! Not some hole in the wall, but something nice that can accommodate us and have a pool

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

You should be able to find a place in your price range north of the city in the Perimeter area.

I would include the zoo. Look at World of Coke next to the aquarium also - it's more oriented to kids than adults. Your other choices are good also.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

My 6-year-old loves World of Coke, especially the tasting room where you can sample unusual flavors from all over the world. Also consider Stone Mountain Park and the Atlanta Botanical Garden.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

Check out this Top Question on your right to get you started on neighborhoods: Where should I stay if downtown, midtown, and Buckhead hotels are too expensive?

What is your question re: the pandas and penguins pass? As you've noted you do save money buying both. Do you have a more specific question?

I would say that your 9 year old might be too old for Imagine It. My 9 years old niece is "over it." You should also consider Stone Mountain and the Atlanta Botanical Garden, both of which are great for kids. And Piedmont Park, which is free, is beautiful and has lots to do.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

my 8 year old and hus 2 brothers 6 and 3 still I luv Imagine It---Legoland is very good but expensive.Im not a big Coke fan, evryone always says they loved the tasting room Really! Ive been several times with visitors and they always say its way too commercial for the time it takes.

Bring the kids bathing suits and let them dance in the dancing water fountains in Centennial Park its free and the kids love it.The zoo has upgraded reecntly and added a Giraffe feeding area that very good.The childrens section is nice as is the train.Get there early before the busses arriveAnd while your in town take the kids to the Varsity drive in .I like to pull in and have the car hops serev us--i drive an SUV and have plenty of room--if you have a smallish car you may need to eat inside which is also very good.Theyll give the kids little Varsity hats

Atlanta
Level Contributor
231 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

At this risk of sounding like a broken record, I really recommend using a travel site like Hotwire or Priceline for your hotel. Look at biddingfortravel.com to see what others are paying, choose the area and star rating you want, and keep trying until you get something good. We travel all the time and always use these sites.

Good luck, and enjoy your stay in our city!

Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

Sounds great and Im so happy to hear about enjoying all our city has to offer :) as for the aqaurium, according to mother dearest (a former kindergarten teacher who has taken this trip three times) says that all it really is, is just a bunch of fish tanks and an over priced gift shop. I think your children would enjoy Stone Mountain. It is one of my family's fav's in Georgia. It is clean and family friendly. The World of Coke is great too!!! I love the tasting room!! (Don't drink Beverly!!)

As for accommodations, i don't really know of anywhere l. The only places I have stayed at in ATL are the Marriot Marquis and the Hyatt. Neither of which are kid friendly...sorry. i dont like it either. But at least the elevators are cool :)

Hope you enjoy your stay in ATL!!!!

Edited: 10 May 2012, 04:43
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,916 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

If you are doing a number of attractions in the city then look at the citypass-

here is a link-

http://www.citypass.com/atlanta

It will save you some money. Also look at staying in the Perimeter Mall area for cheaper accommodations- some hotels have suites and offer a hot breakfast which will save you money- also might look at hotwire or priceline- also like the Lenox/Buckhead area of the city.

Enjoy your trip!!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

Future "a bunch of fish in a tank" REALLY! guess you dont like aquariums/. THe Aquarium is really well done, a huge viewing area with whale sharks,sting rays etc with a moving sidewalk000 great beluga whales, a very good Dolphin show--they dont make you buy anything--and to say world of coke is better, with the oft repeated line, "the tasting area is great", is pretty silly

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

Seriously. That's like saying Paris is just a bunch of old buildings.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlanta Vacation..... HELP!

Skelco11 -- not sure what your experience has been, but I'm always very reluctant to recommend bidding sites (Hotwire, Priceline) for families traveling with kids. Because these sites do not guarantee anything about the room other than the fact that there will be one and that it will sleep two adults, it's quite possible to buy and pay for a room with no refund possible only to find that there's no place for the kids to sleep except on the floor (if the hotel even allows that). Even those hotels that will change you to a room that will accommodate your entire party will frequently upcharge you to the point that you'd have been better off paying rack rate somewhere else. And there's always a possibility that you'll end up in a smoking room.

When it's strictly my wife and I, I make good use of Priceline and have saved a ton of money that way. But when we have the kids with us, the downside risk of not having a room that works for all of us keeps me away from that approach.