We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks in advance..

1st time visit to ATL for hubby & I (mid 40's hip couple).. I LOVE zoos and aquariums and Paula Deen (lol)... Hubby loves mountains and eating (southern food in particular)... Here's the itinerary I planned so far:

Saturday- arrival/relax

Sunday- drive to Savannah (Eat @ The Lady & Sons, sightsee)

Monday~ Six Flags or Stone Mountain?

Tuesday~ Sightsee downtown ATL (Eat @ Gladys Knights chicken & waffle place), visit niece (EGYPT- from V103..she recently moved to ATL)..

Wednesday~ Georgia Aquarium, SweetWater Brewery, ?

Thursday~ departure..

Thinking of staying at Doubletree by Hilton (airport)..

Any suggestions are graciously welcomed...

Thanks

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

Savannah and back in one day is a very long day (4 to 5 hours each way), and not worth the time, IMO, especially for one so-so meal. No time to sight-see.

Unless you like amusement parks, go to Stone Mountain.

Skip Gladys Knight's, go to Mary Macs.

Aquarium - yes. Sweetwater is neat also.

Stay in Midtown, not at the airport - better neighborhood, less travel time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

I have a lot of thoughts on this itinerary, some critical. Don't get discouraged, though. We'll help you come up with something workable. See below:

Sunday- Savannah is too far away for a day trip, and really is hard to do justice staying only one night. I'd save this for another trip, or extend the trip. Also, as you'll find on the Savannah forum, most people find Paula Deen's restaurant terribly overrated. I went a few months ago because a colleague insisted, and was not impressed. Most people on the Savannah forum prefer Mrs. Wilkes.

Monday~ Six Flags or Stone Mountain? Unless you just love amusement parks, I'd avoid Six Flags. You can find them all over the country and although I haven't been to the one here in ages all of the reports I hear are that the crowd is rough and it's seen better days. A trip to Stone Mountain would be fun if you will have a car.

Tuesday~ Downtown - Be sure to visit Georgia Aquarium. You can also work in Centennial Park, CNN Center, World of Coke. If you like southern food, you may prefer Mary Mac's over Gladys Knight's.

Wednesday~ Since you'll already be downtown on Tuesday, why not see the aquarium then? I'd recommend you visit some combination of Atlanta Botanical Gardens, Piedmont Park, Atlanta History Center, Fox Theater, Oakland Cemetery Martin Luther Ling historic site on this day.

I would avoid staying by the airport, which is in a poorer, less safe part of town, and which is fairly removed from the city. I'd focus on a hotel in downtown or midtown, then look at Buckhead, and if you find them all out of your price range look at the Perimeter area, which is light years nicer and safer. Or, to steal a page from stevedec's playbook, stay in the newly renovated Marriott Courtyard in downtown Decatur, which is a charming area with a lot to do. The area around the airport will not have any shopping, dining, nightlife, etc., and even if there were anywhere to go you wouldn't want to be walking in that area at night.

For restaurant recommendations, I'd refer you to the Top Questions on the right, where I've run down my favorite restaurants that don't "break the bank."

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

Oh, wow. Steve I promise I didn't see your response before posting mine. Great minds, I guess.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

@J - yeah, we're of a same mind, you just do a little more detail. Thanks for the shoutout to Decatur (again).

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

Wow...Thanks so much for the helpful tips (Savannah, Gladys, Hotel).

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

Again... Wow...Thank you so kindly for the tips... Not discouraged in the least..Still excited..

We will skip the following:

Airport Hotel

Paula's and Savannah

Glady's waffle joint

Six Flags...

I will add the following:

Aquarium...Botanical Gardens..Stone Montain..Mary Mac's... Must also add in a visit with my niece and her little family...

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,894 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

Great ideas from all- agree to eat at Mary Mac's- great southern food. Check out the citypass for discounts to sites in Atlanta.

http://www.citypass.com/atlanta

Enjoy your trip!!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

Quick question~ We would love to experience Chicken& Waffles, hence the desire to dine at Gladys Knights place... Any other recommendations for Chicken and Waffles?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

Gladys' is probably the only place for that, mainly because it's sort of contrived and not traditional southern.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time visit to ATL June 9th-14th, Suggestions welcomed!

If you want chicken and waffles, go to Gladys Knight's.