We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OKC
Level Contributor
395 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

I'm thinking of taking the MARTA to/from the airport since my flight leaves during rush hour traffic both going and returning. My daughter lives North of Atlanta and I hate for her to have to mess with all the traffic. Is it pretty easy access to the MARTA from the airport? How far a walk since I will have luggage?

Your thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

The airport MARTA station is in the airport terminal at the extreme west end, just beyond either the north or south baggage claim. Depending on where your daughter lives, she could pick you up at Sandy Springs, North Springs or Doraville. Check the MARTA website at www.itsmarta.com for more details. The Atlanta airport website is www.atlanta-airport.com.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

The Airport MARTA station is right adjacent to the baggage claim area, so it's not far to walk at all. To ride the train, you will need to purchase a Breeze card ($1) and add however many fares you need to it - $2.50 for each separate trip (that's $6.00 altogether with the cost of the card). You can purchase your card at one of the vending machines in the train station - they accept cash or debit/credit cards. Note that Breeze cards are reloadable, so you may want to hang onto it for future visits.

We can give you better advice about which train to take if you can tell us where "North of Atlanta" your daughter lives, and what specific day of the week and time of day you expect to arrive and depart.

-JimG

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

It will be very easy. Your daughter can probably tell you which MARTA station is most comvenient for her. You can plot the journey on www.itsmarta.com.

OKC
Level Contributor
395 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

Thank you for the info. My daughter lives in Cumming, but I could ride it as far as I can and she could pick me up there.

Don't you think that would be easier for her then fighting that traffic to the airport at 5pm?

I'll take a look at the website.

Thanks again!! :-)

OKC
Level Contributor
395 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

Oh one more thing....arriving at the airport on a Mon at 4:35pm and then departing from the airport at 1:30pm on a Fri.

Thanks!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

For sure. Go to the north springs stop. There's an area she can park easily and wait. What I do is have whoever I'm meeting call me when the train leaves the airport. Ap us 30 minutes from north springs and I'm 20 min from ns. It's much easier and quicker

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

Far easier for her to just meet you at North Springs station. Travel time from the airport to North Springs is about 45 minutes once the train starts moving. Be sure to get on a Red Line train to North Springs, not a Gold Line train to Doraville. They will alternate leaving the airport with each line leaving about every 15 minutes.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

For sure. Go to the north springs stop. There's an area she can park easily and wait. What I do is have whoever I'm meeting call me when the train leaves the airport. Ap us 30 minutes from north springs and I'm 20 min from ns. It's much easier and quicker. Just get on the train that says north springs

OKC
Level Contributor
395 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

Thanks everyone for your help, I do appreciate it. :-)

10. Re: Taking the MARTA to/from the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 22:42