We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique Places to Eat

Blackshear
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Unique Places to Eat

In Atl Jul 2-4 for Peachtree Rd Race and staying near Lenox Square, although distance is not an issue. Could someone please reccomend a more unique place to eat, where locals like to go. Maybe American or Italian. Also, does anyone know of any concerts, plays etc. in Atl Jul 2-4? Thanks, Rob

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique Places to Eat

For entertainment, check your dates on www.creativeloafing.com

and www.accessatlanta.com

For restaurants, since you mentioned Italian, I have to plug Antico for pizza (read any reviews and you'll know why) and Noni's (one of my regular spots). Ecco is excellent as well, and another of my favorites. All 3 have VERY different menus and vibes. Check out the "Where can I find reasonably priced eats in Atlanta?" link in the column to the right to see if any of that appeals. If you want something more upscale let us know.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 21:03
atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique Places to Eat

You asked for "unique" : These come to mind, I am sure others will chime in

The Vortex (little 5 points location -- there is one on Ptree as well)

The Varsity

The Sundial (for the view)

Six Foot Under (At Oakland Cemetary)

57th Fighter Group (War theme on airport property, can watch small planes take off and land)

Dantes Down The Hatch

pbs.org/food/…

the above link is to a local tv show that discussed some more, the second installment "Get Delicous Again" went to several restaurants with very unique food items.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique Places to Eat

I thought 57th Fighter Group closed. Unique location, so-so food.

I would add Mary Macs.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,077 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique Places to Eat

I would vote for Mary Mac's and the Varsity- both unique, southern and only in Atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique Places to Eat

57th Fighter Group reopened about a year and a half ago. I have eaten there both "before" and "after" and the food is great since the reopen. They have several seating areas (equipped with headsets) where you can watch planes take off and land at nearby PDK airport, and listen to the pilots and controllers talking to each other - pretty neat experience if you are into aviation at all. Note that they are closed on Mondays (i.e. July 2).

The Vortex is good as well if you like burgers - like miketeresa, I prefer the Little Five Points location over the Midtown location.

For good Southern food you can't beat Carver's on Marietta St. However, they are only open for lunch (and you will need to get there early because there is always a crowd).

For barbecue I like Community BBQ on Clairmont Rd near N Decatur. They make everything fresh and try to use locally grown ingredients (for sides, etc) whenever possible.

-JimG

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique Places to Eat

surprised no one mention Buckhead Diner--which isnt really a diner as in lousy food--upscale place--my fav there is the blue cheese chips and the veal meat loaf or daily fish

Edited: 09 June 2012, 18:11
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,617 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique Places to Eat

Two Urban Licks with a view of the skyline - http://www.twourbanlicks.com/index-home.htm

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
309 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique Places to Eat

I suppose the Imperial Fez would qualify---dining on cushions after leaving your shoes at the door.

http://www.imperialfez.com/

Been in Atlanta for over twenty years.

Skip the Varsity unless you just want to say you've been there--food is nothing special and it lives largely on its reputation.

9. Re: Unique Places to Eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:16