We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

We'll be arriving in Atlanta (extended family) on Sunday night after visiting Asheville. I'm not sure what time we'll be arriving but if we get in town earlier enough we'll be looking for some good southern food (I'm guessing fried chicken) and maybe a place to walk around.

If you visiting DC, I'd tell you to walk around the monuments at night; Baltimore, the inner harbor.

1) Does Atlanta have place that would work for a nice family stroll on a Sunday evening?

2) Also, any thoughts on great places to eat? The wife is a big fan of Triple D.

On Monday before going to the Braves game, we'll probably stop by Little Five Points (we are a fan of funky neighborhoods), the MLK sites and Centennial Park.

3) Any thoughts of place to eat that would be in the Triple D vein or maybe a place Anthony Bourdain would stop by?

Thanks.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

What area will you be staying in? Atlanta really doesn't have any walking-around places like you describe.

Mary Macs is a good starting point for southern food; a few other places are a little more upscale.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

I would walk around the Virginia Highland area, midtown (and Piedmont Park if it's not dark), or downtown Decatur.

What is Triple D?

For restaurants, you might want to check out this Top Question on the right:

Where can I find reasonably priced eats in Atlanta?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

Thanks - we are staying out of town in Vinings - Mary Macs sounds perfect.

Can you walk around Centennial Park at night?

Also, any great record stores around town? Areas that can still support a music store tend to be what we are looking for.

Triple DDD is the TV shoe Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

Thanks.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 15:14
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

You could go to the park at night, but won't see much, including other people. You will find a few record stores remaining in Little Five Points, though they're becoming fewer.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

It really depends on where you are staying. Overall, Atlanta is not a walking city. The only places I can think to walk around would be Piedmont Park area, Centennial Park or Little Five Points.

For food, I would suggest Mary Mac's. That's about as southern as you can get. There are other good restaurants around town, but not sure what your tastes are.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

I wouldn't walk around Centennial Park after dark, because it would not be that safe or that interesting unless there's an event going on there that night.

For the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives experience, you can't beat the Vortex. Or Carver's for southern cooking.

Also, since you like funky neighborhoods, go to East Atlanta to walk around, and eat at the E.A.R.L.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

agree with J---walking around Centennial park late isnt that safe.Its pretty at dusk,but when it gets dark, dont risk it.Basically try to stay east of peachtree rd.When my daughter lived in Decatur, we used to walk the square there in the evening

8. Re: Walking around on a Sunday night and other questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Atlanta