We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown parking/ transportation help

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Topic
Downtown parking/ transportation help

I will be staying at the JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead. I need to go to three places in downtown Atlanta:

1) 275 Baker Street (to go the Peachtree Trolley- I've called them and they said that is where they drop me off/ pick me up

2) Inside CNN Studio Tours (to do the 55 min studio tour)

3) Ted's Montana Grille on 133 Luckie Street (for lunch)

I need to find some hourly parking that is close to each of these three places. I will be spending 1.5 hours at 275 Baker Street. I will spend 1 hour 15 min to 1 1/2 hours at the Inside CNN Studio Tours. And I will spend a little over 1 hour at Ted's Montana. This will all take place on the same day.

In terms of hourly parking suggestions, please suggest someplace that is within 0.2 mi of the intended destination. I do not mind moving my car to a different parking facility to go from one place to another.

I am also exploring taking the MARTA from my hotel to the downtown area. But these three places that I need to go are further than 0.2 mi from the nearest MARTA station (Peachtree?) So, I will then need to switch from MARTA subway to a bus.

I have a strict, no more than 0.2 mi walking distance restriction.

Please help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

There is a deck at CNN. There is a lot across the street from Ted's, but it is also extremely close to CNN. There is a deck at the corner of Baker and Marietta, which is right at 275 Baker. Really, though, why not skip Ted's and Eat at Stats or Max's Pizza. That's along your way from CNN to 275 Baker and ought to break it up enough that none of the walks are more than .2.

I will say though that the CNN studio tour itself probably requires walking more than .2 miles.

Las Vegas, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

I want to go from JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead to Inside CNN Tours using MARTA. Are these directions correct? Is the walking distance correct?

Walk 0.1 mi from JW Marriott Buckhead to LENOX MARTA Station (Gold Line)- from Lenox MARTA, take southbound train towards the Airport- Get off at Five Points Station- take West bound train- get off at the 1st stop, which is Omni/ Dome/ GWCC/ CNN MARTA station on the Blue Line- walk 1/2 a block to Inside CNN Tours

On a separate note, is the distance from Inside CNN Studio Tours to Ted's Montana Grill going to be 0.2 mi?

Lastly, is there a MARTA station that is within 0.2 mi of the Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta on 275 Baker Street?

Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

I would rely on Google maps for distances. The closest MARTA station to the Hilton Garden Inn is the Omni/Dome station.

I'm not questioning your distance restrictions, but is stopping and resting along the way an option? It seems to be getting complicated to arrange transportation between spots that are within eyesight of each other, and in many cases you'll walk as far to get to your car, drive, park, then walk through the parking deck to the inside of the building as you would to just walk in between buildings.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

The Peachtree Trolley website is insisting to me that it boards at Centennial Olympic Park

265 Park Ave West N.W.

Atlanta, Georgia 30313-1591

But maybe their phone information is more up to date. 275 Baker St is the Hilton Garden Inn.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

I know you've tried to frame a very specific set of questions but ... 0.2 miles is only 352 yards, I'm pretty sure I would cover that distance inside CNN Center just heading off in the wrong direction for the restrooms.

Although you can rely on Google maps up to a point, anytime you are measuring distance to a large structure you have to ask points have they selected - the nearest corner, the geometric center, the front door?. The actual distance on the ground could easily double.

I can't imagine the parking idea would work. Taxis? Are you meeting a friend? How would you tackle an itinerary like this at home?

I'll look at the bus maps but all the nearby MARTA stations are very large and might demand too much walking.

Las Vegas, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

McVisor, I did actually call the Peachtree Trolley, and they told me they are now picking up at the Hilton Garden Inn. They said they used to pick up at Centennial Park, but they no longer pick up there.

I admit that the whole parking thing does not seem to work. So, I am not shifting gears and focusing on utilizing MARTA.

Can someone tell me if these MARTA directions are correct?

Is the walking distance correct?

Walk 0.1 mi from JW Marriott Buckhead to LENOX MARTA Station (Gold Line)- from Lenox MARTA, take southbound train towards the Airport- Get off at Five Points Station- take West bound train- get off at the 1st stop, which is Omni/ Dome/ GWCC/ CNN MARTA station on the Blue Line- walk 1/2 a block to Inside CNN Tours

Las Vegas, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

How far is Inside CNN Studio Tours to Ted's Montana Grille? Is it 0.2 mi or more than that?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

The MARTA directions are correct but as McVisor pointed out there's no way to know from which point in the building the distances were measured.

It is more than .2 miles from CNN to Ted's, but you could have determined that yourself using Google Maps as I suggested.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 13:00
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

I think you'll be ok getting on the Lenox MARTA station across the road from the JW Marriott. You can't really go the wrong way and it isn't far to the elevator to the platform.

You would be pushing it to walk within Five Points to change lines and also to walk from the Omni/Dome station. These are both huge expanses designed to accommodate post-game crowds.

If you can handle long escalators - or even if you can't, they do have inconvenient elevators - we might be able to give to specific directions to get out of Peachtree Center station and get a cab over to the HGI for trolley pickup.

After the tour you would be able to duck into the HGI to recuperate and call a cab if there aren't any waiting. Then you would get a bit of another tour as downtown has a lot of one way streets. Someone here can probably guide to to the best entrance to CNN Center.

As you probably know there are other branches of Ted's Montana Grill. The nominal proximity of this one osn't necessarily useful in your case.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown parking/ transportation help

Nor is the food good enough to justify a Herculean effort.