We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spring City...
8 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

I will be traveling south on I-75 to Florida in a few weeks. My path will take me through Atl. on a Thursday morning. If I leave home at around 5am that will put me at the Northern I-75 - I-285 interchange around 7:45am. Here's my question, how bad will the traffic be at that time (I'm thinking really bad), would it help if I left a little (up to 1 hour) earlier or latter? Also, what's the best route? I-75 S, I-285 W, etc.?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

I-285 around the west side will probably be a little easier and less likely to be badly backed up than sticking with I-75 through town, but the worst traffic is likely to be on I-75 between Kennesaw and the I-285 interchange. Any time between 7 and 9 or 9:30 traffic will be heavy. If you don't have a hard deadline for getting to Florida, leaving later so that you hit the Acworth/Kennesaw area around 9 am would probably give you the best shot at avoiding the worst of the traffic, but that may not be feasible for you. If that's the case, leave as early as you can; if you can get to the I-75/I-285 interchange by 7 am, you probably won't have too much trouble.

Dialing 511 from any phone (including cell) within Georgia will get you current real-time info on traffic conditions, or you can hit the Ga DOT traffic info web site at http://www.georgia-navigator.com.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 15:21
georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

Go to bed early the night before and leave at 3 am...at that time, you can go straight through downtown on 75 south.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

Agree with rack. Head west on 285 to 75 s. Or get to atl before 7 and you'll be fine

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

Good advice from rack.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

"...that will put me at the Northern I-75 - I-285 interchange around 7:45am.". No, you'll be in the midst of some of the worst traffic in Atlanta at 7:45. Previous posters are right - you have 3 choices 1) leave early enough to miss the traffic 2) leave later to miss the traffic 3) sit in horrendous traffic for well over an hour.

Spring City...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

Thanks for the replies thus far everybody! If I cannot (easily) adjust my travel schedule, what can I expect traffic wise? How much time will the traffic potentially add to my drive? If it's only 15-20 minutes...not that big a deal, but if it's an hour or better, I may need to rethink this.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

It could easily be 30 minutes. Where are you coming from? Maybe US 27 could be an alternative.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

It can easily take well over an hour to travel from Acworth to 285. If there's an accident, it can take a lot longer than that.

georgia
Level Contributor
85 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

Whenever we are leaving on a trip and need to travel through or around Atlanta we don't leave till 9:30 or 10 AM. Usually that works for us and we look at traffic on Georgia Navigator online. That is no guarantee however so be prepared to take an alternate route. Accidents have happened in the wee hours and traffic has been awful for rush hours in those events.

Spring City...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get through Atlanta on a Thursday morning?

Thanks everybody! It looks like my best option is use I-285W and to avoid Atl between 7-10am.