We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50 minutes between Domestic & International….

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
751 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
50 minutes between Domestic & International….

Will we have enough time?!?!

We are flying from GRR Michigan to ATL and then on to Costa Rica in January. When we purchased the tickets from DELTA, in our excitement, (we have been saving for this trip for a LONG TIME) we didn’t notice that we would only have 50 minutes between flights! YIKES!!!! Luckily we are a party of 6 adults, with only carry on luggage, but 4 of the 6 are very inexperienced travelers, shoot, the other two have only been out of the country twice and will be nervous going thru customs, will have been up since 4 a.m. (grumpy people LOL) and are not familiar with ATL airport.

I have been reading TA reports as far back as the opening of the new International Terminal to try and get a good handle on whether or not others have had this issue and it looks like it might be touch and go. Obviously missing our connecting flight would NOT be the way to start out our trip. 

At this point changing our tickets is not an option, both financially and availability. Are we doomed??

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
727 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50 minutes between Domestic & International….

It wil be tight, but not impossible. I think the ATL airport is relatively easy to navigate and well marked with signage.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50 minutes between Domestic & International….

just came through the International area on a flight from France... lots of people on our flight were making connections and the time was similar to what you will have..the domestic area is much more crowded and busy than the International.. there is about a 12 min shuttle ride between the two...you will have to move it for sure good luck

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50 minutes between Domestic & International….

i just checked and Delta flies to SJO out of E the old intl terminal as opposed to F the new one--so your trip from landing to E is pretty easy.--no shuttle bus, just the tram which is running every 2 minutesJust try and get seats close to the exit doors when you get your seats--youll save at least 5 minutes getting off. I think youll have plent of time, but make your flight atteandant aware of your connection so if youre running late they can contact the gate agent on your SJO leg and with 6 of you they will hold the palne a bit for you.Just dont check any bags.And take the tram, the moving sidealk is slower

Edited: 20 September 2012, 15:28
Michigan USA
Level Contributor
751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50 minutes between Domestic & International….

Thanks everyone! Your responses make me feel a little better. :-)

We will have carry on bags only, so that should help.

I will be sure to inform the flight attendant of our time issue, make sure that we all sit by the exit on the Tram AND will hustle everyone as best I can.

Appreciate the time you spent looking.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50 minutes between Domestic & International….

Your welcome. I meant get seats on the plane near the exit rows. Have fun

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50 minutes between Domestic & International….

AHHHHH, gotcha!

As luck would have it, we fill row 11, both sides, so we'll put the two BIG guys in the aisle seats and they can 'stop traffic' for the rest of us to pile out. :-)

Thanks again! We WILL have fun.

7. Re: 50 minutes between Domestic & International….

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 10:17