We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 year old boy in Atkanta

Melbourne
Level Contributor
84 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
17 year old boy in Atkanta

Any suggestions for 5 days in Atlanta with our teenager? Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

When are you coming?

Do you know what area you'll be staying in?

What are some of his interests (though Mum & Dad may be the last to know)

Etc

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

Check out the Things to Do tab on the right.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
84 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

Hi. Thanks for your replies . We are coming the states at the beginning of December and not sure where in The States would be most interseting for us and our son. We have been to San Francisco, New York, Washington and New York and would like a mixture of places to visit that are doable in the winter (non skiing). I thought the Southern culture, civil rights and CNN/ Coke museums might be a good mix. His interests are facebook, computer games....so we were looking to challenge his screen focussed world without being too dry.

Cheers

Melbourne
Level Contributor
84 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

P.S. Sorry about my typo in the title entered at midnight!!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

Hmm, obviously you will be doing your own research, holding democratic family meetings etc to determine the agenda, but some things that come to mind that you might successfully do together include:

as you say:

CNN Tour,

World of Coke;

since you mention Civil Rights:

Martin Luther King Historical Site. http://www.nps.gov/malu/index.htm

These are "downtown".

Speaking of culture, the High Museum (Midtown) has an exhibition just started that will still be on in December, that should be both educational and accessible (unless you've already seen everything in NYC)

<<Fast Forward features 100 years of radical artistic development, from 1913 to 2013, reflected by works of art drawn from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, New York. The exhibition highlights new ideas and artistic approaches that emerged during six key moments in the 20th century and the dynamic change that resulted.>>

I like the Botanical Gardens (Midtown-ish), and this "Garden Lights" evening event/show that started last year was a hit with my college-age children and me, we went twice. It could be a fun thing to in the evening

atlantabotanicalgarden.org/events-classes/ev…

Lenox Square Mall (Buckhead, and easily accessible on the MARTA rail) is a nice upscale mall with the best fashion for the young man on the go, it also has both an Apple Store and [one of the few] Microsoft Store - a pale imitation but you can play Kinect. He could also stop and get his fix staring at the package art at Gamestop which is otherwise not very entertaining.

Can't think of much else, though he may have his own international connections through Facebook or his gaming activities

In case your itinerary is still fluid I will draw your attention to this additional location

Boca Raton , Florida (I have no idea how one would get there) is hosting a big touring Smithsonian-organized exhibition about Video Game Art.

http://www.bocamuseum.org

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,429 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

Might add there is also the Atlanta History Center, Swan House, and Atlanta Cyclorama which is great for the first time visitors. You can get a city pass and explore many venues on this pass and will save you money.

If you want to venture outside Atlanta you could drive to Social Circle and eat at Blue Willow and then take in antebellum homes in nearby Madison.

Another option would be to do Holiday lights at Callway Gardens, FDR's Little White House is Warm Springs and eat at Bulloch House.

ATL
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

As the mother of boys, I would say that even my history interested one would get bored with too many museums, etc. In small doses, it will be fine, but I would mix it up a bit.

Any interest in sports? If so, see if the Hawks, our professional basketball team, is playing when you are here.

For sure, the Coke museum and the CNN center. The MLK Center is another don't miss, though how interested he is in it will be hard to guess.

I think that Stone Mountain could be interesting, because it offers a variety of activities.

I would recommend Social Circle with a teenage boy, though I love it. My sons would think I was daft if I took them there.

My boys, when they were that age, really liked New Orleans. Have you considered including New Orleans on your trip? Lots to see, great vibe, great music etc.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

Georgia Aquarium and zoo are interesting spots as well--you could do a float on Chattahoochie river just north of Atlanta--takes about 3 hrs

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

I think the recommendation of New Orleans is spot on! My favorite Tennessee Williams quote: "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." Quite honestly I fear Atlanta would bore him out of his mind. Sorry to be kind of a downer but my husband teaches kids his age and I was one about 15 years ago and vaguely remember it :)

If you do decide on Atlanta, I wish there were some way to get him a tour of the Adult Swim offices, teens usually love the shows they have. They're hugely inappropriate, of course. He would probably like the Little Five Points area although sadly The Vortex is 18+. There might be a concert in town that he's interested in, worth checking into. The sports idea is great--not sure if it is "in season" but something kind of funky and different like girls roller derby might be fun to watch too.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,429 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 17 year old boy in Atkanta

Maybe a bit too much history!!

My young adult kids love Little Five Points area. Both of them do love southern food and enjoy eating at the Blue Willow and Bulloch House.

They also like Memphis and New Orleans!!! Lots of music, history, walking, etc. in both cities.

Get answers to your questions about Atlanta