We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Themed Thanksgiving

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Themed Thanksgiving

Do you guys know of anywhere around Atlanta or even southwest GA that will be doing some type of themed Thanksgiving lunch or dinner? We have small-ish children so we were thinking something like a First Thanksgiving theme would be fun with pilgrims, Native Americans, etc. Any ideas?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

Ummm, no. This is Georgia. The Indians and settlers didn't sit down to friendly Thanksgiving dinners. The Indians of south Georgia were Creeks and the only connection with settlers on Thanksgiving Day might have been settlers saying goodbye to their visitors saying "We'll see you soon, if the Lord's willing and the Creeks don't rise". Cherokees in the north married in and there were a lot of mixed marriages and they sat down to eat Thanksgiving together. But no staged Thanksgiving pagents. You could take the kids to Westville if you want - http://www.westville.org/events.html

Edited: 30 October 2012, 19:32
Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
670 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

@onemoreroad, thanks for the chuckle! Relations were probably about as civil as the present-day UGA/GA Tech rivalry.

Lydia, I think the happy, warm and fuzzy Pilgrims, popcorn garland and Native Americans thing was imagined about 100 years before Georgia was settled. Its not big in the history books here. Georgia seems to reenact more of its Colonial and Civil War history.

Maybe some of the local churches do something? I have no idea.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

Here's a list of events on Thanksgiving day. None are exactly what you had in mind, but perhaps something will spark some interest:

http://tinyurl.com/8zkdkxu

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

Well gee, I guess everyone should stop celebrating Thanksgiving except for the people who live directly where it happened then, huh? Thank you for telling me WHERE I LIVE but I am well aware of the fact as well as Thanksgiving lore and most history in general. I know which Native Americans lived in Georgia but I don't really recall asking anything about that. Again, I don't see why there has to be a connection to GA since it is a national holiday...whether it was "imagined" or not I thought my kids would really enjoy it.

JAtlanta, I appreciate you actually trying to help instead of just being snarky and completely missing the point.

People, if you don't have anything nice to say and you can't be helpful then just stay away from my post. Sadly, last night I was with 200 teenagers who are better behaved.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

I don't think anyone here was being snarky. This is a good natured forum where people sometimes joke around. You should lighten up. It would make people more enthusiastic about helping you.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

From a NOLA thread - "Thanks again---so happy this forum is helpful and not full of snarky jerks like the Atlanta forum."

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

Snarky, unhelpful jerks who gave her 2 pages of breakfast recommendations.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
671 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

I have been watching this post for a few days and I think that the OP is a little bit of a control freak. No sense of humor and a bit too earnest. I'm sure you are not bothered but a little put off. I have come across these kind of demanding posters and they are annoying. Little imput on their own but wanting answers. Go away until you contribute something.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

I think it's funny that she calls her kids "beasts". I'm sure that was meant to be funny but I'm also sure she would not be happy if somoene called her on that like she called us on our posts. Whatever. She's been giving good suggestions on several threads. Westville would be great if she's looking for history. Good luck to her in finding a faux Pilgrim Thanksgiving in Georgia. Do they even do that in Virginia/

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
670 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Themed Thanksgiving

I've been called far worse names than "snarky" and "unhelpful".