We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Sandy changed plans

Springfield...
2 posts
Save Topic
Help! Sandy changed plans

We were headed to NYC for a girl's trip tomorrow and Sandy changed our plans. Since we were scheduled to connect through Atlanta we are now going to spend 6 days 5 nights there instead.

Suggestions?

We love theatre, history, local dives etc.

Our trip to NYC was to celebrate one of the girls' 40th birthday so I also need an AMAZING cupcake or restaurant to celebrate.

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Sandy changed plans

For cakes - Atlanta Cupcake Factory, Piece of Cake, or West Egg bakery. We have several of the chains like Gigis too, but I think those are awful. Also, donuts are becoming the rage here, and Sublime Donuts is incredible. For ice cream, Morelli's is exceptionally good.

For theaters, check out the Fox Theater. They do tours in the morning as well, and it's a fascinating place. Heart is performing there next week - it's a great place for a concert. Also look into Alliance Theater and Cobb Galleria Center. You can go on accessatlanta.com and put in the date, and it will show the performances scheduled in and around Atlanta.

For local dives, the Vortex is a must. Also - Fox Bros BBQ, the EARL, Fat Matt's Rib Shack, Nuevo Laredo. People like the Varsity too. I'm not one of them, but I'm in he minority.

You might also enjoy Margaret Mitchell House, Atlanta Botanical Garden, Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta History Center, Stone Mountain.

With so much time here, you should also consider renting a car and going to Savannah or Chattanooga for a couple of nights. I like Atlanta, obviously, but 6 days is a LOT of time to spend here.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta Cupcake Factory
Atlanta Cupcake Factory
38 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Fat Matt's Rib Shack
Fat Matt's Rib Shack
1,148 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
The Varsity
The Varsity
4,705 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Margaret Mitchell House
Margaret Mitchell House
694 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta Botanical Garden
Atlanta Botanical Garden
4,096 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Georgia Aquarium
Georgia Aquarium
19,074 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Springfield...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Sandy changed plans

Thank you!

ATL
Level Contributor
279 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Sandy changed plans

For sure, if you want a fun ladies luncheon, eat at the Swan House which is located on the property of the Atlanta History Center.

http://www.swancoachhouse.com/

If the weather is nice, this would be fun for your Sunday...

accessatlanta.com/news/…

I am hearing very good things about Next to Normal which is showing at the Alliance Theater.

http://alliancetheatre.org/

I would definitely do the MLK Center,. If we have pretty days, St. Mountain could be fun.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Sandy changed plans

Tours of the Fabulous Fox Theatre are offered Monday and Thursday at 10AM and Saturday at 10 and 11. Just meet the tour guide in the arcade on Peachtree St. There are others as well: www.preserveatlanta.com

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Sandy changed plans

its a 4 hr drive but you might consider going to Savannah for a couple nights--- its a greeat souterne city and very lively

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,630 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Sandy changed plans

Split your time between Atlanta and Savannah. Both great cities and think you would enjoy seeing both. Savannah is full of history, near the beach and river, and lots of nice places to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
7. Re: Help! Sandy changed plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2013, 10:19