We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

Hey, Dad and DD21 will be wrapping up our roadtrip in Atlanta, we actually fly home around 8pm on Jan 1st, arriving in Atlanta on the 30th Dec, staying in the Georgia Tech with a car.

So, what should we do for NYE's?

There's some sites with parties on such as clubzone.com/nye1/atlanta-new-years-eve.html, but would these be suited for a father-daughter, where do you locals do with your grown up kids go for NYE? - don't say at home! :)

When will more parties/events start to be released?

We're looking maybe for somewhere nice for dinner not expensive though, maybe $40-50pp maximum. Then a chilled but not too chilled bar to ring in the new year...I dunno, chilled sounds boring for NYE. What should we do?

I've heard about Peach Drop, but people say it's horrible, not a fun experience.

What about any fireworks?

I realized a lot of questions, but thanks in advance! :)

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
700 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

I wouldn't say the Peach Drop is horrible, but it's not my thing.

Since your crowd spans a decent age gap and you aren't looking to tear it up in the clubs, I would check out the Virginia-Highlands neighborhood. There are a ton of good, moderately-priced restaurants like Noche, La Tavola, Highland Tap and even Murphy's. Most will probably offer price fixe menus for dinner after a certain time at night. Make reservations and inquire about any special menu they might offer that night.

There are plenty of bars nearby, including numerous within walking distance. Some may be a little to "themed" for a native Brit, like Hand in Hand, Neighbors and Limerick Junction, which are pub-style locations, but it could be pleasantly familiar. The Dark Horse Tavern and Atkins Park have a fun vibe. The crowd in Virginia-Highlands is thirty-something professionals primarily. It's not too hipster (like Edgewood) or too beautiful-people on parade (like Midtown).

Another option would be someplace like Whiskey Blue in Buckhead. Its not very big and the crowd definitely likes to be seen, but they play decent music and the outdoor area has amazing city views - with effective heaters in case it is cold. I'm not sure what it is like on New Year's Eve with table reservation requirements and minimum charges for bottle service, but it would be an experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

For something more low key, many area restaurants do special meals for New Years Eve. If that interests you we can make some recommendations.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

if you want a "nice" dinnner your price point may be tough esp if your including wine and tip,which is 15-20% in this country.We always go to a medium priced spot Priccis that has a special themed menu,including wine and its like 70/head--im sure there are places for less,but not sure theyll meet your nice criteria

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

Thanks for the suggestions guy, I booked the Georgia Tech as I had heard Midtown was better than downtown, as if had more restaurants etc... so I was hoping for some places in Midtown for NYE, or do you think Virginia-Highlands would be more suited to us?

I think I'm still too early as restaurants haven't started posting their NYE menus' yet.

I pinned some restuarants to eat at while in Atlanta but I think there all too causal for NYE, Vortex Bar & Grill, Cypress St Pint, and the Highlander.

La Tavola looks nice in Virginia-Highlands though.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

I think Virginia Highlands would be a better destination. My guess is that midtown will be packed with younger club-goers, with VaHi being more laid back with a broader age range. It skews towards young professionals but has people of all ages. In VaHi, La Tavola is quite good, and probably the most upscale option. Rosebud is also a good option.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

I'll have more of a look of Virginia Highlands, how easy would it be to get a taxi to and from on NYE? it looks as if the fare will be about 10bucks one way. How do you hail a cab in Atlanta though, off the street, through a hotel etc... or should we call a company?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,779 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

Decatur might be good also and you could stay right there at the newly refurbished Courtyard.

www.visitdecaturgeorgia.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

Emma - your hotel could probably coordinate your taxi. You probably won't have a problem getting one to VaHi but getting one back may involve a wait.

The Decatur option is a good one and would also mean you wouldn't have to take a cab as you could walk to and from the Square to the Courtyard. I'd recommend: Iberian Pig, No. 246, Cakes & Ale. There are many bars and pubs around the square. My favorites are the Brick Store Pub and Leon's.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,779 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

Also in Decatur - Cafe Alsace and Kolbeh. Country French and Persian, respectively. There are two more pubs on the Square - Square Pub and Mac McGee's.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year's Eve...What to do? Where to go?

Re: the taxis can you hail them on the street or is that against the law, do yellow taxis drive the streets like in NYC?

Hmm...I'm not sure about Decatur, it says its about a 20min drive to downtown atlanta, and I'll presume there's traffic too. because we're not just in Atlanta to celebrate NYE, with also want to do the touristy stuff such as Centennial Park, World of Coke, CNN etc.. we're in town 2 nights 30th-1st, full day 31st and 2 half days, and I don't want to spend it driving in traffic.