We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some ideas for family trip

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Need some ideas for family trip

We are thinking about visitng Atlanta and Charleston next Oct. We would fly into and out of Atlanta, rent-a-car to drive to Charleston and anywhere else we might fit into an 8-9 day trip. So my question is if we had 2-3 full days in Atlanta what would be the key sights to see. Oh - we definitely want to go to the aquarium and we defintely don't want to go to CNN for a couple of reasons.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,093 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some ideas for family trip

In Atlanta I agree to see the Aquarium. Many like to also see the World of Coke which is right next door. If you like history then the Atlanta History Center and ML King Museum are must sees. If art is you thing then there is the High Museum. If you are interested in the Civil War then I suggest a visit to the Cyclorama, Oakland Cemetery and Kennsaw Mt. Battlefield.

From Atlanta you can head to Charleston- it is about a 5 hour drive. In Charleston be sure to check out one of the plantations- Magnolia or Middleton, Ft. Sumter, Market Square, and the historic district. Two hours down the coast from Charleston is Savannah and is a must see imo. Savannah is full of southern charm and history. It has the Riverfront, old homes, historic squares and cemeteries, nice shopping and great food. It is only a 4 hour drive back to Atlanta.

Atlanta- 2-3 days

Charleston- 3 days

Savannah- 2 days

Enjoy your trip planning and if you have other questions please let us know.

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some ideas for family trip

Great info - thanks!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some ideas for family trip

I always enjoy visiting the Fernbank Museum of Natural History. There are a couple of sections designed for children, and when my boys were young, they always liked those sections (as well as the rest of the museum).

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some ideas for family trip

Id add stone mtn. In atl. Beaufort sc is between Charleston and sav for a quick stop. Nice quaint town. We hired a tour guide to take us for half day in savannah and tybee. Good way to get the layout of the town April is a great time to go. Beware march 17. It's a wild St pattys time

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some ideas for family trip

Agree almost completely with poster #1. Charleston and Savannah are great additions to an ATL trip! I don't agree with the World of Coke recommendation unless you want to submerge yourself in a giant advertisement.

Another suggestion: Asheville/the Blue Ridge. Few days here.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some ideas for family trip

Ok so the fact that Coke advertisement is closely tied to the development of art and graphic design and the development of iconic images such as the Santa Claus that is not worth a visit? Coke ads reflect the styles and images of our history... images that have carried the American way of life the world over...think what you will of the product itself..everyone I have known who has been to the Wold of Coke has enjoyed seeing the history of their ads and samples of their product sold in other parts of the world ... it is fun and it is worth a visit.. no I don't work for Coke or hold stock in the company... it is so much more than a giant advertisement it is a record of an iconic American Company........

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some ideas for family trip

I'm with southtripper. I don't take issue at all with the fact that the COKE museum is about - gasp! - Coke. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, and recommend it.

I'd add Piedmont Park and/or Atlanta Botanical Garden to your list if the weather is nice.

8. Re: Need some ideas for family trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 01:16