We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

park & ride game day questions

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
park & ride game day questions

my apologies as this has likely been covered before, but i cannot find it in a search...

If we are staying in the Perimeter /Sandy Spgs area, and plan to park at the free parking garage and take the MARTA to the GA dome, how much time, in total, should we allow for that? ( assuming we would like to arrive at stadium about 1 hour 15 min before KickOff?)

Are there better suggestions for a park & ride plan, and/or other rail stations with free parking?

Thank you!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: park & ride game day questions

You've got a pretty good plan. I'd have my car parked not later than 2 hours before game time. Go ahead and buy both legs of your roundtrip MARTA ride at the same time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: park & ride game day questions

I agree that yours is a good plan. I would leave a little earlier, maybe 2.5 hours before the game, because you'll either have to change trains at Five Points station, or walk from the Peachtree Center Station through Centennial Park to get to the Dome.

For what it's worth, I usually just walk from Ptree Center to avoid changing trains, and because it's a nice walk. The park is decorated for Christmas, and there will be gameday activities going on.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: park & ride game day questions

To assure a,seat is go to the last stop north springs and get on there. It's about a 10 minute drive and huge parking deck

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: park & ride game day questions

im a little confused...are you saying north springs is the same train as the one that stops at SS but is further out, and has a bigger parking garage? How far a drive is that exactly? (we would like to go to car and head to Birmingham following the game.)

Is it common for those decks to get full if you are no there early enough on game day?

Thanks!

Edited: 30 November 2012, 14:52
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: park & ride game day questions

Ok, i did not see that 10 min drive comment, im sorry.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: park & ride game day questions

To assure a,seat is go to the last stop north springs and get on there. It's about a 10 minute drive and huge parking deck

Ss wild be ok too. I have a back issue si avoid standing if oosssibe. Btw if you're wanting to leave to go back and want to get to game early just drive. Pm me if you want how I go the back way to falcons games

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: park & ride game day questions

I think what bigbomoho is suggesting is that if you got on the train at Sandy Springs rather than at North Springs, there might be some possibility that you would not get a seat on the train because it would be full of people who boarded at North Springs, which, being the first stop on the line, would start with an empty train.

I think this is COMPLETELY unnecessary. I have ridden MARTA to SEC and other big games for years, and even getting on at Lindbergh, which is even further down the route, have not had a problem finding a seat on the train. Now, if you get on at midtown or downtown, you might have to stand, but it would not be for more than about 10 minutes.

Just park at Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. Both have large parking decks with ample spaces.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: park & ride game day questions

As I said with my back I can't stand and don't want to take any risk which is ny coice. And in my case us necessary. Since i don't know the posters physical issues u didn't want to assume

Anything

But if I were him id drihve and avoid the after game marta crowds and just head home. It'll take an hour to get back to ss

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: park & ride game day questions

it may be worth it, but isn't parking about $40 at the stadium?? Plus, wouldn't I have to get there a lot earlier than 90 minutes prior t o Kick off?

Also, I like that suggestion from JAtlanta about walking through centennial park...what kind of "gameday activities" do you mean? music?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: park & ride game day questions

20 - 40 for parking. But you'll save an hour getting back home. Your call