We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

I'm certain this question has been asked many times in many different ways. But each person is unique with their own concerns. With that said, I need your help! I will be moving to ATL with my fiance somewhere between April-Aug to attend grad school at Emory. Where is a good area to rent an apt? I would like to be near other black folk but I would also like to be safe. I also like to be able to walk to certain places and access public transport. On visits, I fell in love with the West End but everyone keeps telling me I don't want to live there. BUT I don't like the area around Emory. And downtown doesn't seem to be an option since I don't want to spend over $1000/ a month. So I'm very confused lol HELP! Also my bf is an accountant. Will he be able to find work in this economy? Anything you know is appreciated!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

Most of Atlanta's neighborhoods are pretty integrated but for something up and coming that's less expensive: kirkwood, Little Five Points, East Atlanta, Reynoldstown, Peoplestown, Edgewood, Old 4th Ward, Grant Park, Cabbagetown. You might check creativeloafing.com for apartment listings by individuals, which might be less than renting from a big complex. I agree with whoever warned you against the West End. There are some pockets that are cute but overall it's a high crime area.

Re jobs, who knows. This is a travel forum.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

You mentioned public transit. Most of the places I mentioned would require using a bus. But there are train stations near O4W, Kirkwood, L5P.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

I agree with everything J said. For public transit, when you find somewhere, locate it on a map, then look at www.itsmarta.com for bus and train routes. Note that Emory is served by buses, but no train station nearby. They do, however, run free shuttles from various parking areas and downtown Decatur.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

You may want to check out www.city-data.com

Great moving information.

Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

Thank you. I will certainly look around at those places.

Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

The city data thing was interesting but a little overwhelming. It was a little hard to tell exactly what neighborhood I was looking at.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

Hi, how did the move go? Where did you end up. I'm considering moving from DC to Atl, email me if you could give advice Nday0684@ yahoo.com

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

Hi, how did the move go? Where did you end up. I'm considering moving from DC to Atl, email me if you could give advice Nday0684@ yahoo.com

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

You might want to remove your post--never a good idea to put personal info like that out there. Also, this post is months old, and the OP hasn't returned to it. If you want to communicate with the OP, send them a private message (PM).

10. Re: Young Black Couple moving from DC to ATL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 06:20