We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
269 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

Can you all suggest where we can spend the one night? We have never been to Atlanta and will be leaving the next day morning, maybe drive through the city to see it - where should we focus on staying for the night?

Thanks,

D

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

What time will you arrive in Atlanta? Do you plan on seeing anything, or just spending the night?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

id stay in midtown see FAQs on right--- good restarurants all within walking,maybe visit High Museum if its open if your an aquarium person, you coild stay near there if theyre open late--dont try just driving around--very confusing to newcomers

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,307 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

I'd take MARTA to midtown and walk around Peachtree St, Piedmont Park, then have dinner in midtown. You can take MARTA back to the airport the next morning. No need to rent a car. Midtown is very pedestrian friendly.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
269 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

We are going to arrive around 7pm and will have our own transportation...seems like Midtwon is the place?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

If ATL is not a real site seeing stop for you, I would drive on through to Douglasville so that you avoid traffic when you head on to LA. I would probably pick a stop in Alabama versus GA, due to the proximity of ATL to NC.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,307 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

I misread your question, and thought you were flying with a layover in Atlanta. Since you'll have a car, I'd suggest just driving along Peachtree from downtown (see Centennial Park too) to Buckhead to get a good broad view of the city. Midtown is still going to be the most fun place to stay, but bear in mind that you'll have to pay for parking at any hotel in midtown or downtown.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

Yes, Midtown is the place. Definitely not downtown and there's not much in Buckhead these days. You could stay near Lenox Mall if you want to shop but midtown will be more interesting. As someone else said, don't drive around with a destination as the Atlanta streets and directional signs can drive you crazy!

8. Re: Overnight Stop - enroute from NC to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 05:16