We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bucks County...
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

I lived in Atlanta (apartment in Virginia-Highlands and later in Inman Park) from 1977 to 1982. My husband and I met in Atlanta in 1979 and eventually moved to PA in 1982. We don't think we've been back for a visit for around 20 years. I did a search on this forum and found a thread from a few years ago that mentioned lots of restaurants and places that aren't around anymore. This site was linked in that thread: http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/index.htm and I still need to explore it. I wondered if anyone can supply links similar to this that have information about "bygone Atlanta"?

Are any of the "Peasant" restaurants still in business? We used to go to the one in Midtown on Peachtree, in Colony Square and in Phipps Plaza (I think one was called the "Country Peasant", another maybe "Uptown Peasant"-- they each seemed to have a different, very tasty signature bread they'd serve.) My single girlfriends and I used to love Capo's Cafe in Virginia-Highland (I know it's been gone a while), and wondered if anyone remembers Cafe Erewhon with Cy Timmons?

We used to regularly visit Mary Mac's Tea Room-- especially with out of town guests-- also, The Mad Italian, Pepe's (Mexican food on Ponce), Empress of China (near Dunwoody?), Zesto's and Eat Your Vegetables in Little Five Points, Franco's Pizza, The Dessert Place (Virginia-Highland), Good Ole Days (home of the flower pot sandwiches) on Peachtree, Bahou Container (Mediterranean food-- at Lenox Square I think), Dante's Down the Hatch in Underground Atlanta, and many more I can't remember at the moment.

We're beginning to plan a trip to Atlanta in the Spring and wondered if any old-timers might know if any of the restaurants I listed are still around. Also, I wondered what the weather is like in March or April in Atlanta. I seem to remember that Atlanta was about a month ahead of us in the north in the Spring as far as warmer temperatures and blooming plants and shrubs.

56 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,719 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Zazu's was great. I miss it too. It and Capo's in Va-Hi were my favorite places.

Dugan's is still there on Ponce.

There are some Little Azio's still around and an Azio's in Downtown.

Re the previous post - Maureen moved the Pleasant Peasant to the Centennial Park area as the Peasant Bistro and now has moved to Midtown as Campagnolo -

http://www.campagnoloatl.com/

42. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 02:35

43. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 21:05

44. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 21:05

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
45. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

I lived in Virginia-Highlands from 1982 to 1992 and LOVED Capos--one of my all time favorites.

Also enjoyed Moes and Joes (I HOPE it is still there!) and Murphy's Taco Mac, The Country Place (yes--the BREAD!) and Vickery's in Midtown.

And let's not forget Fellini's pizza in Bulkhead and L5P! Great calzones!

Never understood the appeal of MICKS. A favorite that is still there is ANIS--the French Bistro in Bulkhead. Love. STILL the best mussels in white wine sauce I have ever had anywhere. Including Paris.

Edited: 10 May 2015, 04:10
Villa Rica, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
46. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

That's funny I used to love to go to capos and get the chicken diablo,soooo good. You mentioned Franco pizza I would always get the Greek pizza. I've wondered many times if this place just closed or if the we're ones in other states., like the others said the varsity is still here Not sure if Mary macs is.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Being relatively close, I'm surprised that you don't know that Mary Macs is still going strong.

ATL
2 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Yes! That was the name...Mimi's- have been racking my brains to think of it after I read your post! Went there often as I worked at Rich's nearby and took my daughter iceskating at the rink. Was quite chi-chi for the time.

ATL
2 posts
Save Reply
49. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Yes! Just saw it was Mimi's- lovely place....

1 post
Save Reply
50. Re: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years

Oh the good old days! When I moved to ATL and Virginia Highlands out if East Tennesse I thought The Texas Drilling Company was a place I could get a job as a typist...haha.skipped down the street and opened with the crew at The Purple Parrot. Also worked at Zasu's and what fun both of those places were. Capo's cheese sticks started something...he should have patented those! And the pastrami at George's! I worked with the Peasent at Micks Lenox for many years too. I still duplicate many of their recipes on a regular basis. Making their awesome fried chicken salad tomorrow for dinner and what about that Montrechet Pasta...live making that. Haven't been to ATL in 10+ years...moved to Asheville area in 2001. Last time I went there I did swing by Zesto's but I swear the biggest memory of my last visit??? The POT HOLES driving in town. I really should visit and at least hit the Majestic. Anybody know of any decent Jazz bars in town? I know I can't find a disco...hahaha! Limelight! Cove! Even Backstreet finally bit the dust. I really miss those days. I was so young! Lol..

Reply to: Atlanta Visit after 20 Years
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted