We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

may be to much to ask but i am looking for a somewhat decent hotel in Atlanta that is at the most $75/night. I am taking my 13 year old sister to the braves games over the weekend, and it will just be us, so i am looking for a hotel in a safe part of town. it doesn't have to be real close to turner field, just no more than 20 minutes away.

thanks for any help!

i was looking in buckhead area, and marietta, not real familiar with marietta and how far it is from atlanta. also would like it to be close to somewhere to go saturday during the day since the game isn't till that night.

thanks again!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

You can go in the Hotels tab above and enter your price range, which will give you a lot of options. My advice would be to find a hotel that's on or near a MARTA train line, which makes it much easier to get to and from Braves games. There's a shuttle from the Five Points MARTA station. There are usually plenty of reviews for the hotels on this tab. Once you get it narrowed down to a few hotels or a general area, why don't you come back with some more specific questions? In general, I think you'd be fine staying in Buckhead or midtown. Also, I would opt for Dunwoody, in the Perimeter Mall area, over Marietta, simply because MARTA runs to Dunwoody. The La Quinta in Dunwoody seems to be very popular on this site.

gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

thanks for the advice, i'll check out the dunwoody area.....how close is the marta station to turner field?

gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

i've been looking at the laquinta in dunwoody...it does have great reviews, and they make it sound like it is in a good part of town. i'm going to check on the prices on that one. are the malls and restaurants people are talking about visible from the hotel? or will i have to find them -i'll get lost easy :)

do have some questions about the marta, never ridden it before. is it easy to navigate (to turner field) and safe at night on the ride back for two women? and how much does it cost? and how long does it take to get to turner field on the marta? after you get off the marta their is a shuttle to the stadium?

thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

Dunwoody is the far north area of Atlanta, just north of Buckhead. It is largely suburban, with a huge mall and lots of shopping, mainly in chain stores and restaurants. It's fairly affluent, so safety shoudln't rally be a concern. Perimeter Mall is within walking distance of the hotel but it's probably not visible from the hotel. It's huge and easy to find, so just bring a decent map.

MARTA charges $1.75 a trip. You can visit its website at www.itsmarta.com. There may be visitor's passes available. Depending on the station you either buy coin tokens to put in the entry gate or purchase a pass card that is scanned at the entry gate. It is relatively safe although I wouldn't take it south, east or west of town after around midnight. Night of Braves games are the exception because there are so many people riding that it is far safer. You would just take MARTA to the Five Points station and there will be signs overhead directing you to the Braves shuttle buses, which depart constantly from the station. It's very well-marked. From Dunwoody to Five Points is around a 20-30 minutes MARTA ride depending on traffic volume, and the shuttle from the station to the field is probably 10 minutes.

Taking MARTA you call also visit midtown (Fox Theater, High Museum, Piedmont Park, tons of bars and restaurants), downtown (aquarium, cnn center, centennial park), Decatur (cute boutiques and restaurants), Buckhead (shopping, great upscale restaurants, declining nightlife), Inman Park and Little Five Points (though I wouldn't take MARTA here at night), Oakland Cemetary and the ML King historical site.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

To get a good price, I would suggest using Priceline and specifying a neigborhood. If I were you I would search for a 4 star hotel in midtown and bid $75. You'll probably get a pretty nice hotel. You can check biddingfortravel.com to see what other bidders got.

Also, I would check sites like hotels.com, expedia.com, travelocity.com, hotwire.com to compare rates. Plus, go to the hotel's own website to see if it offers better rates than the discounter sites.

gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

just want to thank EVERYONE for all your help!! I think we will try the marta to go to the game saturday night....and might try that priceline idea too, i had thought about that, but always kinda nervous to pay for it and not know what i'm getting. if i don't do that, i'll book the laquinta in dunwoody.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

JAtlanta has given you some very sound advice.

I would especially second the suggestion to take MARTA to the Braves game. There's nothing worse than getting lost in a big city late at night when you're driving and that's easy to do when you're leaving the Ted after a Braves game. Maybe it's just me but I've lived here for years and still get confused when I drive home from a game.

gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

what zone do i pick on priceline for midtown?....the zones are big!

gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

nevermind, i see where you can pick a more specific area

gulf shores
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: NIce, cheap safe hotel in Atlanta...

is midtown a good safe area? for the most part

Get answers to your questions about Atlanta