We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and getting around

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nottingham england
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay and getting around

My husband and I are visitng Atlanta in March, we are not sure whether we need to rent a car? We are thinking of staying in a downtown hotel and would like to visit the Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site and Birth Home, the Cylcorama museum, the aquarium, possibly the CNN Center and the World of Coca Cola. We would also like to visit Stone Mountain, is it possible to take a tour there? Can we do all these things by public transport? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and getting around

If you are staying at a downtown hotel, the MLK site, Centennial Olympic park with Aquarium and World of Coke, CNN, etc. is certainly convenient and a car is not needed. I would definately advise a rental car for Stone Mountain Park or see there is a SM tour arranged through your hotel, as there is no public transit service to the Park. Closest you could get would be to ride Marta (light rail) to end of the East line, transfer to a bus to get to the city of Stone Mtn and then would have to get a taxi to the Park. Once in the park, while the gondola, carving, museum are in close proximity, other features of the park are considerable distances. I would suggest taking MARTA from your hotel down to the airport, get a rental car for the day, take in the Cyclorama and then the rest of the day at SM. Daily hotel parking fee for car at downtown hotel would probably come close to approximating the daily rental car fee.

hope this helps

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and getting around

The Top Questions on the right address several of your questions.

For where to stay, read:

Should I stay in Downtown, Midtown, or Buckhead?

Where should I stay if downtown, midtown, and Buckhead hotels are too expensive?

For whether to rent a car and a discussion of what sites can be reached by public transit, read:

Do I need to rent a car?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and getting around

if you rent car for a day, there are plenty of rental spots in town--you dont need to go to the airport.But as J said read the FAQs first

4. Re: Where to stay and getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 05:18