We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

We are going to Atlanta to be with newest grandchild for a week. Our kids live between airport and downtown. We will have a car so we can get around, and shop. But we would also like to tour and eat some good food (chicken and waffles). I don't mind driving, but want to be near kids.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

Check the "Should I stay..." on the upper right. My suggestion is to try for Midtown. More user friendly and less isolated than the airport.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

I would suggest either Midtown or Downtown since that's where most tourists things/shopping are. You are going to be a little bit away from everything down by the airport. I'm not sure where your family stays since the distance between the airport and downtown really isn't that far. Honestly, if you have a car, it doesn't matter where you stay. Just look for a good, clean high quality hotel near where your children live. That probably would be the easiest.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

I'd stay in downtown or midtown. I'd worry about the safety and cleanliness of any hotel between downtown and the airport. Airport area hotels are generally fine, but it's a pretty desolate area with few restaurants, shops, etc. If your family lives halfway between the airport and the city, you'll find the city more enjoyable.

For chicken & Waffles, the only place I know is Gladys Knight's. That's not really a traditional Southern dish - just something she and her musicians made up while out on tour and that she turned into a restaurant. I've lived in the South my whole life, and have never had it. For more traditional food, try Mary Mac's, the Colonnade, or Carvers (which closes at the end of March).

Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

Thank you CUTiger81 and JAtlanta. It looks like I will be trying to book downtown or midtown. If I stay in downtown can we walk to midtown at night? Or vice versa? I will definitely look forward to the traditional spots to eat. As tourist we have been to Gladys Knight's a couple of times.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

Downtown to Midtown is a 20 or 30 minute walk, but I wouldn't do it after dark.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

Definitely stay midtown, if your kids are half way between the airport and downtown, it cant be more than 15-20 miles from midtown (probably less).

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

Be careful downtown! I just had a friend who booked 3 nights at a downtown hotel. She was really bothered by the homeless people in the downtown area. They didn't bother her (that is, they didn't do anything to her), but they were everywhere and she was not comfortable with that. You are not going to want to walk from downtown to midtown. Read the hotel reviews carefully to ensure you end up at a hotel in an area where you will feel comfortable.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

So you're warning people away from downtown based on something you didn't even experience yourself? Yes, there are homeless people downtown, as there are in the downtown areas of any major city. Your friend said they didn't bother her. So what's the big deal?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

Carver's is closing? That's really a shame. Although I can't say I am that surprised after Robert Carver passed away last year. I'm sure it's not an easy thing for Sharon to run the place all by herself.

-JimG

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please! Stay by Airport or Downtown for Week?

I saw in atlanta.eater.com that they're closing at the end of March. I had heard that Sharon was getting ready to retire. I have to get by there before it's gone.