We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of july in Atlanta area

Skien, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
4th of july in Atlanta area

Me, my wife and our 6 year old daughter is traveling around Florida and going home at 5th july 03:00 pm via Hartsfield-Jackson airport. How and where can we experience Independence Day not to far from the airport - max 3 hour drive? What options are there?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of july in Atlanta area

I suggest spending the day in downtown Decatur, Georgia. You can stay at the Marriott Courtyard, which is a block from the downtown square, and can take MARTA to the airport the next day. Decatur has a very family-oriented 4th of July celebration with fireworks and a band. There's a parade that welcomes everyone - you and your family can jump right in whenever you want for as long as you want. This is "Americana" at its best:

www.visitdecaturgeorgia.com/index.aspx…

There are bigger fireworks displays at Centennial Park/Underground Atlanta and at Lenox Square Mall, but they don't have the same atmosphere, and are crowded. Especially with your young daughter, I think Decatur is the best option. There are many restaurants around the square, and there will be street vendors selling popsicles, etc., as well.

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of july in Atlanta area

I would take Marta from the airport to the lenox stop. Lenox mall in buckhead has one of the biggest shows around. Or you could take Marta to centennial olympic park and enjoy the fireworks there. As jatlanta states, decatur would be a great option as well.

Edited: 19 March 2013, 21:24
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of july in Atlanta area

Agree with jatl. Decatur has a real family atmosphere. Lenox is a total zoo

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of july in Atlanta area

I agree that Decatur's fireworks are nice.

I thought Lenox would be a mess but I've talked to two friends in the last few months who get a hotel room and the whole family comes in. The family spends the day together, relax in the rooms and then just walk outside to watch the fireworks. It sounds like a great way to do it, especially if you are going to rent a hotel room anyway.

The Courtyard in Decatur is small so if you want to book that, book a room soon.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of july in Atlanta area

A video from the JW Marriott's balcony - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV9mHpHT9G4

6. Re: 4th of july in Atlanta area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Atlanta