We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visting atlanta first time

Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
visting atlanta first time

Hello,

I'm going for a meeting in Atlanta next week. It's my first time in US so I'm feeling very nervous. Adding to this, I just read a preview in tripadvisor that the hotel I booked (Ramada Limited, Piedmont Road) is in a shady area and the hotel itself is very bad. But one good thing is it's a walking distance from the Lindbergh Marta station...any advice?

Atlanta, GA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visting atlanta first time

Don't worry. The motel is not in a bad area of town. It's actually an area that is being redeveloped. If you walk to the north toward the Lindbergh station, you will find plenty of good restaurants and also a big shopping area. Because I live here, I've never been in the hotel rooms, so I can't tell you how they are. I went there one time for a meeting in the late afternoon and it seemed like it was probably just an average motel. Nothing fancy, but all you do is sleep there. I hope this helps you.

Norbert

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,070 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visting atlanta first time

The Lindbergh MARTA station is in an area that once was shady, but has really developed and improved over the past few years. There are a couple of nice shopping areas nearby. The area is becoming more expensive, but there is still a very large hispanic immigrant (legal and illegal) community in that area. As such there is a lot of foot traffic.

The area of the hotel is not redeveloping as quickly, and there are still a lot of strip clubs and adult video stores in this area (in fact I think the hotel is next door to a strip club). The hotel is a .6 mile walk to the MARTA station. This is not a walk I would make at night, since the s*x shops in that area leads to a lot of late night traffic and I don't really trust their clientele. During the day, though, this area is perfectly safe. If you have a good room rate and are willing to take a taxi from the MARTA station at night (after 9:00 pm), which it would cost about $6, then I think this hotel would be fine. If you can find another hotel for around the same cost, please let us know and we'll be glad to weigh in on that hotel.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visting atlanta first time

i wouldn't go for a stroll in that area morning noon or night for all the tea in china. traffic alone is horrendous without taking into consideration all the sleazy nearby establishments. there is good dinning on cheshire bridge at the colonade as well as exceptionally good pizza by the slice on the corner of cheshire bridge and piedment. if i were you i'd rent a car and keep the doors locked.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,070 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visting atlanta first time

I will say that the hotel is close to the Cheshire Bridge Road area, which has a fairly sizable drug and prostitution trade. However, I go there frequently for my favorite sushi - Nakato - and to eat at Taverna Plaka. Cheshire Bridge is a seedy area with a lot of vice crime, but I'm not sure whether there is also violent crime.

If proximity to MARTA were the issue and I were looking for a safe but inexpensive hotel, I would probably look in Dunwoody at the Perimeter area. People on this board seem to love La Quinta, so that might be a good idea for you.

Atlanta, GA
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: visting atlanta first time

My opinion still stands. I still think it's not a dangerous place to stay.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visting atlanta first time

Thank you for all your helpful hints. Would keep them in mind.

Atlanta Ga
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visting atlanta first time

My parents live in Houston and came to visit me (I have lived in Atlanta for 6 years) and they had booked a room at that hotel. I told them it was questionable but had not been inside. Once they arrived, they walked in and promptly walked out. They said it was dirtly and unsuitable, even considering the cheap online price on they received. I understand wanting to be near Marta but Atlanta is not a subway friendly city. I would recommend renting a car if you will be here for a while or staying at a nicer hotel close to Marta station. There are several downtown, midtown and buckhead.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,070 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visting atlanta first time

Sara - please let us know what you decide to do and if you do stay at that Ramada we'd love to hear back as to your experience.

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visting atlanta first time

I can't comment on the Ramada, but I would like to comment on the area.

While the Lindbergh / Piedmont / Cheshire Bridge area is not a garden spot by any stretch, I'm dismayed to read that some of you think it's shady and scary. We live in Atlanta (and I mean IN Atlanta, not some suburb), and have dined often in that area for years...Roxx, Taqueria Sundown, Colonade, the new Longhorn, Jalapeno's) as well as frequently shopped at area businesses. It's never occurred to me to be the least bit worried about safety. I've also walked through the area many times -- not just ridden through in a car, and never once felt unsafe.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: visting atlanta first time

I used to live in that area and never felt unsafe on Piedmont Road. However, some of the hotels are older and outdated. There is a lot of foot traffic in that area (day and night) and many adult entertainment establishments on or near Piedmont Road. I have been to the Lindbergh Marta station many times and never encountered any problems in that area. My sister lives off Lindbergh Drive and it is a very nice area.