We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for Final Four

Melrose, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for Final Four

We have booked two different hotels for the Final Four games and are trying to decide which to keep, which to cancel. (Atlanta Perimeter/Dunwoody Holiday Inn and Drury Hotel at the Airport). Both have good reviews on tripadvisor so we would just like your opinions on which would be better for attending the games and all the concerts, etc. going on in the area near the Georgia Dome. We will have a rental car but are also planning to use MARTA to get around. Most of the feedback on the Perimeter hotel is from people staying for business meetings while most of the feedback on the airport hotel is from travelers using it as a park and fly location so its hard to determine which would be better for our situation. (I know there are downtown/Midtown and Buckhead options but they are all out of our price range, so given these two, which would you suggest would be better?) Thanks.

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for Final Four

Cancel the Drury Inn...there is not much to do around the airport and not in a particularly good part of town

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for Final Four

Yes, of the two stick with the Holiday Inn. The airport hotels are only good for the airport.

MARTA will probably be your best choice to get to the games. From the Holiday Inn, your nearest station will be Chamblee, head south on Chamblee-Dunwoody road. This is a easy drive with very little traffic compared to trying to get to the Dunwoody/Perimeter Mall station that the name of the hotel might suggest.

A compromise to trade more driving for less hanging about would be to drive to the Lindbergh MARTA station. They have lots of free parking (provided you remember to validate your ticket) . This is the point at which the two northbound lines diverge, so coming from downtown you can get on any train and have twice as many choices/half as much waiting. Buford Highway would be the route for you to do this.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for Final Four

I agree - the Perimeter is a safer area and you'll enjoy staying there more than the airport.The ride on MARTA will be slightly longer, but it will be worth it.

Melrose, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for Final Four

Thanks so much for the detailed info on using the MARTA - it's greatly appreciated. We will be taking everyone's advice and will stay in the Perimeter area. Thanks again!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for Final Four

should be easier getting restaurats around perimeter than near the dome--repost if you want advice..I know my felow posters thnik im nuts, but id drive to the final 4--i did it last time and saved lots of time getting home--PM me if you want directions and where to park

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for Final Four

www.itsmarta.com

Louisville, Kentucky
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for Final Four

What is your advice on driving and parking around the dome for the final four. Or would it be faster to take the Marta. Looked into Springhill Suites around Kennesaw.What do you think of that location and how hard would it be to get to the final four games from there. Is Kennesaw too far away? What do you think about that hotel? This is all new to us, first time traveling to the final four. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for Final Four

My advice is to take MARTA. The area around the Dome will have heavy traffic and can be confusing, as some streets and parking lots are at ground level and others elevated (this is near Underground Atlanta) and it's confusing to get between the 2. Some of the lots are going to be open only to those who've prepurchased parking passes and others will be full, so you may have to drive around to find a spot and could wind up lost or in a sketchy area. MARTA is basically fool-proof and will be how most people reach the Dome.

Without a car Kennesaw is too far out IMO. If you have a car and are willing to drive from kennesaw to park at a MArTA station it's doable but will take over an hour from Dome to hotel. If you don't have a car it will be quite tough. There is not a MARTA train station there so you'd have to drive or possibly take a series of buses (if buses run that route at that time) to a MARTA station. Read the Top Questions on the right about neighborhoods. Without a car I think your best option is the airport or the perimeter, assuming downtown, midtown, and buckhead are sold out / too expensive.

Louisville, Kentucky
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for Final Four

thank you for all your advice. Do you know if there is special times for the ride in using MARTA for the final four?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel for Final Four

MARTA trains run from about 6AM to 1AM. www.itsmarta.com