We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

off the beaten path

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
off the beaten path

I have been to Atlanta and have done all the top tourist attractions, now when I come in July I am looking for water based activities within a couple of hours drive. What are some of the favorite hidden gems in the area? I found snorkeling in the Conasauga river, tubing the Chattahoochee river , the tallullah Gorge slide. What are your recommendations? Are these three activities worth the time? Or is there something better? I will be traveling with an 8 and 11 year old, plus a 70 + person. We will be staying in Duluth.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
120 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: off the beaten path

You can also go up to the Ocoee river in Tennessee (about a 2 hour or less drive) for an exciting white water rafting experience. Lake Lanier also has several water activities that may interest you and your travel companions.

For good scenery, Amicalola falls state park in Dawsonville, GA and Tallulah falls in Habersham are great hikes with beautiful views. They are both roughly about 1.5hours from Duluth

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: off the beaten path

Try fishing for stripers in Jake lanier. I've caught 30 lbers. It's easy fishing not a lot if skills. Pm me for guides. Or rent a pontoon boat or sgi boat

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,795 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: off the beaten path

Head toward Rabun County for whitewater rafting, fun on a mountain lake and lots of waterfalls -

Chattoga river rafting - explorerabun.com/explore-new-adventures/…

List of things to see and do -

explorerabun.com/explore-new-adventures/…

Rent a boat and spend the day on a mountain lake with crystal clear water -

http://www.lakeburtonboatrental.com/

All are in the area of your Tallulah Gorge slide and easy drive up 85/365/441.

Eat at the Dillard House too -

http://www.dillardhouse.com/restaurant/

They offer horseback rides too and one route includes the horses walking down the river for a little while. Your mom would probably enjoy sitting outside and enjoying being in the mountains.

An overnight in the area would save a lot of driving if that's an option.

http://www.mountainairecottages.com/

The above is a not-too-expensive option in walking distance of downtown Clayton with some cute shops and good restaurants.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
141 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: off the beaten path

If you are comfortable paddling a sit on top kayak, you can get boats from Appalachian Outfitters and paddle the Chestatee. It's a mIld river and would be a good fit for your age range. They are near the premium outlet mall up 400. They also do a once-a-day trip leaving early in the morning on an even calmer river. We always go alone, so I've never used a guide from them but you could ask if a guide could go with you. Talk to them about how to carry snacks with you on the boats you pick, a picnic is fun on the river and probably a necessary break.

Lake Allatoona and Lake Lanier both offer all kinds of recreational activities, from swimming beaches to boat rentals. Whitewater Atlanta is a water based amusement park that we enjoy. Is affiliated with Six Flags. Stone Mountain has paddle boats on their lake but that's not a big adventure.

If you are willing to go as far as Western NC, (3 hours from Duluth?) then you can get a guided trip down the Nantahala. Recommend the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Talk to them about height requirements before you go. In the same general area, just outside Bryson City, is Deep Creek. Get a tube rental right outside the park and spend the day trekking up and down the river. Recommend week days for that as Friday and the weekend will be completely packed and sort of ruins the experience. You may want to rent a room in Bryson City though and not have to drive back after such a long day. It is doable to drive up in the early morning, and spend the day on the water. If you rented a room you could explore some on the next day. Lots of great adventures to be had in that area.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: off the beaten path

thank you for replying, what great ideas. This is exactly what I was looking for. I will keep you posted. thanks again

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
587 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: off the beaten path

How about caving with the Georgia Girl Guides at Cloudland Canyon State Park in Rising Fawn. I've never done it, but I understand you do get wet.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
141 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: off the beaten path

If any of my suggestions interest you, I can give you more details on each. I've done all these trips with kids of various ages and comfort levels. Meanwhile thanks for the snorkeling tip. Don't know how my gang missed that! We've already put it into the weekend adventure bucket list!

grand rapids mi
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: off the beaten path

My extended family is gathering at Lake Lanier and renting a house for a week. Could you give me more information on your comment on fishing for stripers and boat rentals (I found Holiday on this site but not much else). My husband wants to drag our boat down from Michigan. But I worry about slipping it or in/out not to mention getting stuck pulling tubers/wakeboarders etc. (Wow! When did I get old?) But we do it all summer not on vacation. I hope we could rent a fishing boat for a day or two and then I get out of being the driver.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: off the beaten path

the best fishing guide on the lake is Doug Younglood at fishlanier.com. tell yor husband you cant catch stripers w/o a guide- they move so fast and dont stay in one spot very long you have to go with someone that fishes every day.You can rent all kinds of boats at Holiday Marina so if it were me i wouldnt drag a boat (plus i hate to trailer anything at higway speeds--too dnagerous). As i said fishing for stripers is very easy, ive taken my wife and my niece and they both caught 20lb fish.Theres room for mayeb 4 people on the boat--no casting et al.He sets out the live baited hooks and the fish hook themselves.Theyre easily sent back in and survive if you dont want to keep any--i usually keep a couple--best fish eating ever and dog cleans the fish.If you call him tell him Bob recomended him to you.Dawn is usually the best time to go, but doug will let you know when he fishes.And its fun to be on the lake as the sun comes up beautiful really

Also the Chattahoochie River is the southern most river in the US to hold troutSo if hes a fly fisher guy ,River runs thru Atlanta with Chris Scalley is super--hell teach you how to fly cast in about 30 minutes--my daughetr caught a 20in trout first time fishing

Any other questions PM me

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: off the beaten path

Your list is more nature-driven, but I'll mention Whitewater since it would appeal to the kids in your group. Whitewater is touted as one of the top water parks in the country. We bought season passes this summer but haven't been yet. You can rent a cabana which might make the trip more appealing to the 70+ traveler.

http://www.sixflags.com/whiteWater/index.aspx