We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DragonCon 2013

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
291 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
DragonCon 2013

I just randomly woke up yesterday morning and decided I was going to DragonCon. Always wanted to go and now just seems like the right time.

Even though I've been to Atlanta a few times, I really don't know anything about it. All of the DragonCon hotels are fully booked, so we will need to find some place else to stay.

We are not renting a car. We would like something on the Marta line. We are hoping to pay less than $200 a night (feasible?). We're not turned off by grit (we live in DC), but we do need clean. We are arriving by Amtrak.

I see that Marta is not 24 hours. We don't expect to be out late but if we had to, a hotel that isn't too far away won't cost us the earth in cab fare.

I hope I have provided enough information to be helpful, and thanks for whatever you guys come up with.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DragonCon 2013

Check hotel prices in midtown, which is closest to downtown, and then Buckhead. If neither of those turn up anything, check the Perimeter. Do be aware that a taxi to the Perimeter would be quite expensive, but it's a good last resort. I'd point you to the first two Top Questions on the right for a more in-depth discussion of the neighborhoods.

Another idea is the Marriott Courtyard in Decatur, if it still has rooms available. Decatur is a charming area and that Marriott has good MARTA access.

As a last resort you might have to look in the airport area, or stay in an area where you'd have to take a taxi or bus to get to a MARTA train station. If you get to that point, we can give you more advice as to desirable areas.

At this point, I think you need to act fast and reserve whatever you can find, especially if the reservation is cancellable. That is going to be a very busy weekend in Atlanta, with the Chick-fil-a kick-off classic, Dragon Con, and black gay pride. There may be a race or something else too that weekend. Hotel rooms are going to be at a premium.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
291 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DragonCon 2013

Thanks. I went ahead and booked at 12 Atlantic Station. It's refundable up until the day of arrival, so I will keep looking for something cheaper. I say that now, but since you've told me that is a busy weekend I doubt I will find anything more reasonably priced. I definitely did not want to be stuck where we couldn't find anything at all because we waited till the last minute trying to save a dollar.

Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DragonCon 2013

That's a really cool hotel. You'll need to take the Atlantic Station shuttle to get to the MARTA station, but otherwise the location is pretty convenient, as it's a short walk to get essentials from Publix, Target, etc.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DragonCon 2013

Keep checking for availability, especially at the other downtown hotels within walking distance, as DragonCon is a 24-hour affair and you will benefit from maximum flexibility in your movements.

I had to stop and make sure this was a 2013 post - so all booked up six months ahead? Wow.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DragonCon 2013

That's a holiday weekend with lots of other things happening.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DragonCon 2013

When you click through (and through ...) to the list of overflow hotels on Dragoncon's website they do still list several other Midtown hotels that might be a shade more convenient because they are clustered closer to the main Peachtree corridor and walking distance to the MARTA rail.

That's a nice hotel but having to get across to and from Atlantic station could get old.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DragonCon 2013

DragonCon hotels ALWAYS fill up completely as soon as they become available for the next year, but overflow hotels may still be available. Check the DragonCon website for the list of overflow hotels and any information about shuttle transportation during the convention.

We stayed at the 12 near Centennial Park (not the one at Atlantic Station) one year. The room was really an apartment with a semi-private bedroom space and a full kitchen, plus a beautiful view. It was also close to the Hyatt, one of the main hotels for con programming. I would recommend it for any time you could not stay at one of the main hotels.

If you must stay farther away, make sure you are on a MARTA subway line, or plan to pay $20-25 per day for parking at any lot in the area. The hotel parking lots fill up on the Thursday before the con, although valet parking may be available later, at an additional cost. MARTA's Peachtree Center station is right next to the Hyatt and Marriott, and the fast food places there are where most people eat during the con.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DragonCon 2013

I just noticed that you are arriving via Amtrak. Be prepared to take a taxi from the Amtrak station to your hotel. Unlike DC, the subway system does not link up with the train station.

Also, I have traveled to Atlantic Station from DragonCon in the past, when I needed to do some shopping. The shuttle was free and convenient, but it cut a big chunk out of my time available at the con, and there is never enough time to do everything that you want to do there.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 16:25
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DragonCon 2013

One more clarification: the Atlantic Station free shuttle will take you to the MARTA Arts Center station, then you will take the subway to Peachtree Center. It's just a few stops (3?) but the subway will not run as often on weekends.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
291 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DragonCon 2013

Thanks for all this information!

I knew we would have to find our own way from the train station. I've got some family in town, so we're hoping that someone won't mind taking us to and from the train station. We didn't want to stay with family because that's always uncomfortable for everyone, so that's why we were on the hunt for a proper hotel.

Hopefully DragonCon will be everything I expect it to be so as soon as it's over I will book my hotel for 2014, and be right there in all the action. Although.... one poster from previous years said that it's fun to be in all the action but it's also noisy and exhausting. I'll scope out the whole scene before we decide.

We also decided not to go with 12 Atlantic Station because of the distance it was from the MARTA. Yes, there's a shuttle but I prefer walking because it's on my own time. The hotel we selected is a little further out from downtown, but it's only half a block from the MARTA. That is a little more convenient to me.