We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

Nyles, Texas
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Topic
Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

Hello Atlanta,

I travel to Atlanta (Marietta) for business several times a year and try to spend one night in the more interesting parts of town. Last time I stayed in Buckhead at the Beverly Hills Inn and loved the area. Lots of great restaurants. Ate at Anis on a Sunday night. Good place.

After reading this forum, I decided to stay in Midtown for one night. My company booked me into the Sheraton Midtown at Colony Square. I plan to take Marta from the airport and walk from the arts station.

The reviews here on TA for the Sheraton are bad but it can’t be that bad due to the location. I really like Piedmont Park and it looks to be only 2 blocks from the park.

Is the Sheraton really a dump ?

What is the nightlife scene for a Wednesday night ? Can you suggest restaurants and some nice cafes/music clubs ? I will be traveling alone and looking for some mellow places to visit. I am a guy, mid 40s.

Thanks,

TexasTroll

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

I think you would like the Prince of Wales, which is just around the corer from the Sheraton at the intersection of Piedmont and 14th. It's a pretty authentic English pub with a great patio. Its sister pub, the Spotted Dog, located on North Avenue is a beautifully restored old fire station. You may also enjoy Loca Luna, which is mostly a restaurant, but has live music and McCray's Taverrn, an Italian tavern located next door. When I lived next door to the Sheraton I really liked going to Einstein's and Joe's on Juniper, but if you're bothred by the fact that the patrons are mainly gay, then you may not be interested. On Crescent Avenue, both Vickery's and Front Page News (FPN mostly) have gorgeous patios and while I'm not a fan of their food they are both great places to drink and chill out.

south
Level Contributor
235 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

I stayed at the Sheraton this past weekend and in my opinion it is not a dump. Sure the rooms could use some updating, particularly the carpets. The carpet was not dirty, but it did show some wear. The beds are very comfortable with lots of fluffy pillows. (sheraton markets this as their "sweet sleeper bed" I think.) The hotel also has a nice large rooftop pool. Not a dump at all. Their customer service is absolutely "over the top." Addressing you by name anytime you call the front desk, room service or concierge. The bellman who brought our bags up pointed out the features of the room, adjusted a/c for us; and while I realize this is all working towards a hefty tip, so what? It's nice to be pampered sometimes. The floor-to-ceiling windows offer splendid views of either Piedmont Park or Midtown skyline (let the front desk know your preference at check-in.) Piedmont Park is a pleasant walk, just a few blocks away. It was a nice walk in the morning, but by mid-day it was goshawful hot (and uphill back to the hotel). The Botanical Gardens are adjacent to the Park, and that was a highlight of our weekend; I recommend it if you enjoy that sort of thing. Nightlife? Idunno, it was a family trip with little ones. Sheraton-- not a dump-- stay there--- HAVE FUN.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

Dixie, I'm glad to hear your trip went well. Sounds like the Botanical Gardens were a hit. Did the young ones enjoy it, too?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

Dixie, did you wind up going to the aquarium? We'd love to hear what you thought.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

I agree with JAtlanta's suggestions, and I have a few more. I lived at the at 10th and Piedmont until April, so I know the nightly drill pretty well. The Grape at 10th and Peachtree has a wine tasting on Wed. night. I believe it is $15. The Grape is somewhat like the Starbucks of wine, but it isn't bad. Zocalo on 10th has a neighborhood special of $5 margaritas on Wed. Zocalo is open air Mexican. I have craved their Mocalita Carmelita many times in the the last 2 months. Loco Luna is tons of fun. I believe Eno (5th and Peachtree) does a Wed. night wime tasting, but their website is down and I could not confirm. We walked to Eno and Loca Luna when we were their, but some think it is a hike so you might want to consider a cab. Piedmont park is a must and a very short walk.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

Park Tavern, which is on the other end of Piedmont Park, has a nice outdoor area that overlooks the park that you might enjoy.

My husband used to live on Eighth Street and enjoyed his trips to the Grape.

Nyles, Texas
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

Thank you so much for your help. I am glad to know the Sheraton is OK. I don't mind "glorious decay" as I am a frequent visitor to New Orleans.

I don't have a problem with gays. Live and let live. I understood that Midtown is the "artsy fartsy" part of town and favored by gays. I really like the Faubourg Marigny section of New Orleans and it is home to many gay couples that operate B and Bs.

I am looking forward to enjoying the area. Sounds like a lot of cool places within walking distance.

Thanks again.

Troll

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

Texas, the local newspaper recently added a feature on events going on around Atlanta duirng the middle of the week...just what you're looking for. They seem to have a new one every week.

Here's the latest one. Hope it helps! :

http://tinyurl.com/pggnu

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

Also wanted to add that if you're into Poker, Madisons at the corner of Ptree and 17th (about a 4-5 block walk) has a free Texas Hold'em tournament on Wednesdays at 7. Get there before 6:30 to get your name on the list. They have 2 rounds and then a final table. Prizes are bar cash ($10-$50) They also have beer specials ($2 Sam Adams) and pretty good food.

Nyles, Texas
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightlife in Midtown on a Wednesday

Thanks bamanascar. I actually have played hold em a few times and enjoyed it. I am amazed at how much there is to do on a Wednesday night.