We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Atlanta

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
North Atlanta

Hi, I am looking for a suggestion for a safe, convenient place to spend the night north of Atlanta. Our flight arrives about 8pm and we would like to drive north to miss traffic in the am. We are headed to Blue Ridge but thought we would stop at Amicalola Falls on the way. Just need a simple basic hotel but in a safe area. Thanks

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Atlanta

Anywhere "north of Atl" is probably OK as far as safety. Since you said Amicalola on the way, I am guessing you are taking GA 400 north of Atl; if so, most of the areas about 10 miles north of I285 are somewhat affluent or at minimum nice. You will probably have more hotel choices in Alpharetta or Cumming. If you choose to go up I-575, I would say Barrett Pkwy at the intersection of I-575 (first exit, also connects over to I75) is a good choice as there is a mall and lots of restaurant choices for a late dinner or breakfast. If it were me, I would just drive straight through, unless your flight is incredibly long; it is probably just over a 2 hour drive.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Atlanta

youllfind far more hotels in the Perimter Mall area--get off 400N at abernathy and head south towards the mall--do a google.com/maps search,put in Perimeter mall, click on it,then clickon search nearby--put in hotels--most of the hotels are west of the mall.Therea few decent places to eat in the Environs.Dahlonega is a fun place--its about an hr north of Perimeter

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,389 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Atlanta

Alpharetta around North Point would be cheaper than Perimeter and put you farther north and closer to Blue Ridge. Let us know where you end up and we can make restaurant suggestions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Atlanta

I would try to get north of the Perimeter area, which is congested in both directions at morning rush hour time. I'd look into Alpharetta or Cumming, as suggested above.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Atlanta

just out of curosity i checked Kayak for both Dunwoody(Perimeter) and Alpharetta hotels near NorthPoint.There are 8 3stars in dunwoody under 100 bucks,and 2 within 5 miles of Nortthpoint--plus there are twice as many hotels in the perimtere mall area.400N will be congested up to Haynes Bridge rd-but speedswill be around 30 till you get to Haynes Bridge,which is about 5 miles fromPerimeter.Id go on best price and whatever stars you want--and wouldnt worry about traffic for either spot.I live in dunwoody and head up 400Ncouple times a month to go fishing so am familiar with the traffic patterns at that time in AM

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: North Atlanta

Best way to get to Blue Ridge is to skip Ga 400 and just go 575. lots of hotels at the 75-575 split.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: North Atlanta

Thanks for all the information. We are renting a cabin and can't get in until 3pm so I thought the falls would be a good thing to hit on the way. Do you have other suggestions for things to do or places to see in route? I will check kayak for the locations you mentioned. Thanks again!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Atlanta

We've had good luck with hotels in Kennesaw.

9. Re: North Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 05:18