We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

Ontario
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

We are flying out of Pearson to Richmond and have a 2 hour stop in Atlanta. Canadians flying from Pearson clear US customs and immigration in Toronto. We are flying Delta and our tickets say that we are landing in the International terminal.

Reading through similar posts and the top post to the right (not to mention the ATL web site), I am getting confused. Will we have to pick up our luggage and recheck it in Atlanta or not? Do we need to clear customs/immigration again? Is there any advantage to being precleared? Our tickets say we are leaving again from the South terminal.

I am worried because we have two kids and need to check at least their car seats for the trip. Based on everything I've read, I am wondering if 2 hours is enough time for our family if our bags are not checked through.

Thank you for your help!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

At ATL, Terminal and Concourse are 2 different things. The Terminals are North and South where ticketing, baggage check and ground transportation are; the Concourses are where the gates are. First, read, the "What is the customs & immigration process when I arrive on an international flight?" at the upper right.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

I suggest looking at the map on the airport website, as it will make the layout clearer. The international terminal is where passengers check in for international flights and it directly connected to Concourse F, but has Plane Train access to the other concourses as well. Many internatinal flights arrive and depart from Concourse F, but not all. Being precleared, you could arrive at any concourse.

If you have precleared customs and immigration you would not have to go back through C&I or reclaim your luggage (assuming you are on one ticket and not switching airlines). You would land just like a domestic passenger and go straight from your arrival gate to your departure gate.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

I was confused too, so I called the airport on your behalf 1-800-897-1910, they connected me to Delta (please feel free to call to verify, as I do not want to be the one who steers you wrong, since I have not personally experienced this dilemma). I was told that they will take care of your baggage, and that you will just need to get on the shuttle to go to whichever concourse your flight is departing from (Domestically, Delta is a south terminal airline, all others are north terminal; thats why your ticket says south). I was told that you would not need to worry about your baggage until you reach your final destination.

I am sure others will chime in who have actually experienced what you are going through. The international terminal just opened one year ago this month, so there are many things about it that are confusing (especially on the internet).

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

sorry JATL, was typing at the same time you were, or actually one minute behind you.

Ontario
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

I cannot express my gratitude for your kind and detailed (and speedy!) replies. This is our first vacation in years, and it comes after some very stressful personal trials, so I really didn't want to start the trip off on a wrong foot.

Thank you again. I will pay this kindness forward!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

theres a couple of very good restaurants on Concourse F in case you want some good food--theres also a large food court in the main terminal for fast food

Ontario
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

ooh thanks for that too bigbomoho. All my worries started because I was trying to figure out dining options while waiting for our connecting flights but then came across all these posts about international arrivals and then off I went...

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

If you have time my top dining choice by miles would be One Flew South in E. F has somw good options too, including El Taco and Ecco. The French Meadow bakery is really good too.

9. Re: Toronto to Richmond, VA (stop in Atlanta)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17