We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

My best friends bachelor party is 5/12-5/15. I have arranged for six of us. Our hotel is the doubletree Buckhead. We fly into ATL airport Wed night late. Our plans are to go to Six Flags on Thursday. Braves game Friday night. Those are the only formal plans. I wanted to see how reasonable it is to ride transit (MARTA) from those few destinations? Airport - Buckhead - Six Flags - Downtown - Buckhead - Turner Field - etc.

I am struggling to find a great place for our dinner Thursday night. I want something that might have some events/music/trivia/karoke with decent food/unique to ATL. Not upscale but not trashy. We want to "get out" but we're all married. Guys are not big drinkers but want to have a good time goofing off - karoke would be fun. I was hoping to call in advance and arrange for some special treatment/seating if possible. Any thoughts? I saw Fogo De Chao but man that is pricey-plus its a chain, and no entertainment. Might be a good deal looks like everyone loves it. I also saw STATS but not so good reviews.

I was also looking at Dad's Garage improv - anyone recommend? If not that place other improv's/comedy?

Just need some specifics - thanks to all Tripadvisor friends in advance!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

Hopefully you mean 6/12, not 5/12.

MARTA is $2.50 per trip, regardless of destination. You can find out how to use it to reach Braves games and Six Flags here:

www.itsmarta.com/shuttle-express-service.aspx

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

Some dinner ideas - Fatt Matt's for BBQ and live blues music. Eclipse di Luna and Two Urban Licks usually have live music. You can see a listing of live music offerings at creativeloafing.com.

How about going to dinner at the Vortex in midtown, then seeing a show afterwards at the Laughing Skull? Dad's Garage is another great idea. Plenty of dinner options around there - Victory Sandwich, The Albert, Pure, Barcelona, Parish, Fritti. Whole World Theater and Relapse Theater are similar to Dad's, probably not as high profile. If you're an Archer fan, a couple of the regulars at Dad's voice some characters.

Another idea is Starlight Six Drive-In movie. You can bring dinner, beer, etc, and collapsible chairs to all watch together or can watch from inside car.

Do men really sing karaoke? If so, I am not aware of any karaoke spots other than Mary's, a gay bar in East Atlanta, and several Asian karaoke bars along Buford Highway. Mary's is fun, and has a pretty diverse crowd. The Asian places in my experience tend to play more Asian music that you likely would not recognize.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

Starlight can be tricky. There was a shooting murder there last year and the latest shooting was 4 weeks ago. Don't think the op is looking for that kind of excitent

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

Starlight can be tricky. There was a shooting murder there last year and the latest shooting was 4 weeks ago. Don't think the op is looking for that kind of excitent …ajc.com/news/…

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

I agree the Starlight Drive-In is a lot of fun. It's more fun when you take your lawn chairs and sit out to watch the movie and bring munchies and tailgate. I'm just not sure it's a bachelor party kind of location and if you don't have a car so that pretty much cuts that out. Atlantic Station does outdoor movies in their park and that's fun, but pretty family oriented...not really bachelor party stuff. The movies are on Thursday evenings. I really like the restaurant Strip just in front of the little park. Great steaks, sushi and everything in between. There's a big multiplex theater there too if you want to see an indoor movie. There WAS a shooting at the Starlight last May but although unfortunate, will not be keeping me or other fans of the Starlight away. The trial has been in the news lately (the shooter was found guilty) so maybe that's what the other poster is thinking about.

Like JAtlanta, I don't know of karaoke places in Atlanta. JAtlanta offers some good evening options.

If you want to DO something, you could take a bus out to Stone Mountain park and hike up the mountain. Maybe eat at the German restaurant in the little town of Stone Mountain before heading back for late night events. The view is spectacular from the top of the mountain and it's an enjoyable walk up the mountain.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

Would your group be interested in Greek food? Taverna Plaka offers a lively atmosphere. Check out the TA reviews and see if this fts your needs.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 04:25
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

I've been to Whole World Improv but not Dad's Garage. That's a great idea for a bachelor party. Let them know and they might work you into it.

The di Luna properties are good for bachelorette parties. I'm not sure if you could make the same assumption for a bachelor party. The original Eclipse di Luna is a festive place after 8:00 with different types of Latin music but no karaoke. There's a private room they'll let you reserve for parties, too. http://miamicircle.eclipsediluna.com/

8. Re: Need Trip Feedback ASAP on Atlanta Plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:17