We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

Need to take daughter to UA in August from Washington state. Have to use miles or companion fare on Alaska Airlines mileage plan. Problem is, Alaska doesn't fly into B'ham -- partner airline Delta does -- can only use companion coupon on Alaska flights and would cost 25,000 miles round trip for one person to take Delta from Atlanta to Birmingham.

To buy airfare from Atlanta to B'ham is $313 per person (so another half of that since daughter won't be returning to Washington).

I'm hoping some Atlanta experts know of a regional airline that is less expensive. Last time we went, we flew into Atlanta, then took coach/shuttle to B'ham airport -- was a REALLY LONG DAY.

Any ideas?

I will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

Everyone I know drives or takes shuttle. If Bham flight leaves after 3pm, Amtrak is a possibility.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

Arrive in Atlanta from Yakima at 3:58 p.m.; flight back to Washington from Atlanta departs at 5:00. Why is it so expensive to fly between those two cities? Sheesh, you could go to NYC for $318. Any thoughts on what car rental would cost? How far is Amtrak from Atlanta airport?

Our family is in Gadsden, but I have to ultimately get my daughter to Tuscaloosa by the 9th. Obviously, I'll be returning to Washington without her.

Thanks for your help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

The only airline that's going to give you many "cheaper" options in and out of Birmingham would be Southwest. Delta is the only option for non-stop flights between Birmingham and Atlanta and those flights are never going to be priced very low when purchasing them independently since the two cities are close enough that the direct demand between the two is impacted by the relatively easy driving distance (unless you're purchasing a connecting ticket through Atlanta). Since Southwest flies direct from Birmingham to St. Louis, Las Vegas, Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, or BWI, you might look into your Alaskan options for getting to one of those cities and switching to Southwest. Otherwise, I'd just rent a car and drive the 3 hours or so to Tuscaloosa.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

Actually, Amtrak goes ATL to Tuscaloosa, but leaves 8:30 AM.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,830 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

Can you use the companion fare for a different trip, and just pay to go on DL (and get more Alaska miles)?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,830 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

BTW, after thinking about it (and I also live in an AS city and have the AS Visa with companion tickets), I don't think you can even use the companion ticket for this trip...both passengers have to travel on the same itinerary, and if she's going to Alabama and you're going back home, you'd only be using it for a one-way ticket at best - seems like a waste.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,599 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

We used to drive to B'ham to fly Southwest before they started flying out of Atlanta. It is not a bad drive. Rental car prices are usually reasonable here in Atlanta so you could just drive.

We are going to Seattle this summer on vacation and got good ticket prices on Southwest.

Good luck!!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

Thought about choosing different city for Alaska leg & then switching to SW, but fare would still be more than renting a car and may then involve more of a layover and hassle with switching airlines, visa vis the luggage switch.

We have same issue Yakima to Seattle. You could go to Sacramento from Seatle for just about what you get charged to fly Yakima.

Really appreciate the help/advice.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

Good to know. Have family in Atlanta and Gadsden.

Thanks for the input.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CHEAPEST AIRLINE/AIR FARE to get from Atlanta to Birmingham?

You're right. If that's how I would go, I'd have to see what would happen if she didn't check in for return flight. However, if I buy some extra miles for both our accounts, I can do the trip for both of us the way we really are flying for about $250. Had to work it around a few times to figure it out. It's just the darn Atlanta to Birmingham leg that's the problem.

Thanks for the input.