We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning questions

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
132 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
planning questions

My family will be visiting Atlanta to primarily see the Aquarium and the Zoo. We would also like to go to Piedmont Park and the Botanical Gardens and we may go to the World of Coke (would our 3 year old even enjoy these places?). I would love to stay in Midtown but the prices are more than our budget allows for the week we are visiting. With that said, would it be better to stay in Buckhead, Perimeter mall area, or Decatur (yes, I have read the article on the different areas :) ? Which area would have the least amount of traffic getting to our places of interest?

With having to drive around, would you plan on staying 3 or 4 days?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning questions

You can cover what's on your list in 3 days.

World of Coke is available as an add-on for the Aquarium, you can buy a ticket that covers both for less than buying them separately. And they're right across from one another. There are a few things there to entertain the kids too. Bigger question in that regard is will the kid be worn out after the aquarium.

As for where to stay, it's Atlanta, you're going to have to deal with traffic regardless of where you stay. I'd pick my location based on cost and what I want around where I stay rather than proximity to attractions in Atlanta. You're going to be in the car no matter what you do.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,417 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning questions

IMO Decatur would have the least traffic getting in to Downtown. Plus, it's a very walkable small town in the midst of Atlanta. Stay at the Courtyard Marriott.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning questions

Perimeter is another option that probably costs less than Midtown and certainly less than Buckhead, albeit with a little more driving.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning questions

You can take Marta to get to the Aquarium/World of Coke, Piedmont Park and the botanical gardens. Also, if you try to avoid driving during 'rush hour', traffic isn't as terrible as it could be.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planning questions

Are you aware of the Center For Puppetry Arts? Their shows are great and one of my favorite things about Atlanta.

http://puppet.org/

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: planning questions

Also keep in mind that hotels in Buckhead, Downtown, and commonly Midtown charge for parking, which can be quite expensive.

I would consider the North Druid Hills area, which may be included in search engines under Buckhead. Look at the Doubletree North Druid Hills/Emory, which offers free parking and easy access to I-85 and GA-400. Piedmont road is also nearby. The hotel has a pool too. My family has stayed there several times and really enjoyed our visits. We found good rates booking directly through their hotel website:

…hilton.com/mt/…index.html

Edited: 08 July 2013, 05:35
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: planning questions

Traffic is generally always a problem in Atlanta, so I agree that selecting a location based on cost is probably a wise choice. However, Marta is a viable transportation option if necessary.

As far as Atlanta attractions go, your child should love the places listed. The Georgia Aquarium has a recently added dolphin show that is very entertaining (be sure to buy tickets early so you can reserve your place), the Zoo is always fun, and the tasting room in the World of Coke is definitely a museum highlight. The Aquarium and World of Coke are right next to each other as well, so you'll only have to worry about finding a parking space once.

3 days is probably enough to cover the main attractions, but since it will be hot and your family might get tired, 4 days isn't a bad idea if you want to space things out and have more time at each location.

Hope your trip is a blast!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: planning questions

2 points to add:

1) Downtown's new ferris wheel is opening soon, perhaps even this week, so that might be something you'd want to do.

2) Travelzoo.com has a deal now for 9-day CityPass at a 42% discount. It is up to you whether this covers what you want to see so that it would be cost effective for your group:

travelzoo.com/local-deals/…

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: planning questions

well its not "new" its been sveeral places where the economics didit work out from the AJC "This is not the first outing for the 180-foot wheel. It has been shopped around various cities before finally settling on downtown Atlanta. Starting in Paris, the wheel has moved to Pigeon Forge, Tenn., and Pensacola, Fla., providing stunning views of those cities. The wheel will now set up shop in Atlanta in a move that required absolutely no public funding from taxes. This is partially due to the wheel being located on private property."

I have some trepidation going up on a used ferris wheel thats been in use in other cities

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,417 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: planning questions

"I have some trepidation going up on a used ferris wheel thats been in use in other cities"

You must avoid amusement parks then.