We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No good on foot?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ayrshire
Level Contributor
245 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
No good on foot?

Thinking of including Atlanta on a 3 city USA holiday. However we don't drive on holiday and was wondering if Atlanta easy to get around on foot or public transport. We really like to walk out of the hotel and be in the thick of it.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,331 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No good on foot?

You need to stay in Midtown or Buckhead in order to have a lot of things within walking distance. MARTA can get you many other places with just a short walk to a rail station. www.itsmarta.com .

Or, if you like a small town atmosphere within a large metropolitan area, come to Decatur. www.visitdecaturgeorgia.com .

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No good on foot?

Atlanta isn't as pedestrian as, say, New York or Boston, but between walking and public transportation you can get most places. You may need an occasional taxi, depending on your destination. I'd stay in midtown.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
554 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No good on foot?

For comparison's sake, what other cities are you planning to visit?

Edited: 11 July 2013, 18:04
Ayrshire
Level Contributor
245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No good on foot?

Philadelphia & Chicago

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No good on foot?

ah Chicago---the murder capital of the US--i think youll find atlanta alot safer for walking

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
554 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No good on foot?

Atlanta doesn't have nearly the public transport infrastructure of Chicago (never been to Philly so can't speak to that), but MARTA does a pretty good job of getting you to most sights. I love Decatur and there is a MARTA station right near the town square, which is totally walkable. I would stay at the Marriott Courtyard on Clairemont Ave.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No good on foot?

Chicago is one of my favorite cities. You'll enjoy that. Have you already been to Washington DC, Boston, and NYC? I'd rank those above Philadelphia.

Honestly, I wouldn't include Atlanta in this trip. Atlanta is a great starting off point for Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans, or the beach, and has plenty to do for a few days. It's a great place to live. But, on its own I don't think it's as interesting for a visitor as Washington DC, Boston, and NYC. I would save Atlanta for another trip when you can see more of the south.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
900 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No good on foot?

Gotta say, don't know your interests but on a purely public-transit basis Chicago and Philadelphia both have much better systems. Furthermore a fair amount of Philadelphia transport is free if memory serves correctly.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: No good on foot?

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest you take a look at Pittsburgh.

Tell everyone you're Andrew Carnegie's cousin.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No good on foot?

I've lived in both Atlanta and Philadelphia. From a public transportation standpoint, the clear winner is Philadelphia. Center City Philly is a relatively compact and very pedestrian friendly area which is best navigated by foot. The Septa bus and metro system is also readily available and economical. I would definitely recommend a visit!

Edited: 12 July 2013, 04:44