We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turner Field during the off-season

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northvale, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Turner Field during the off-season

Hi everyone!

My family is planning a trip to Atlanta in October and we already have a place to stay and a few things to do but I found out about the Turner Field Tour and was completely excited about it. Of course, finding out this tour is given year round (even during the off-season) really just got me excited. The one catch...I don't know anything about the area by Turner Field during the off-season of baseball. I have tediously researched MARTA schedules but have not been able to find a DIRECT stop at Turner Field. I know there is a Braves Shuttle but I feel like that's only during the season. Has anyone encountered this that can help. I don't really feel safe making the walk though my family may be planning to go to the Aquarium and we'll be taking the MARTA to get there and pretty much all the other places we have on our list. I've also read many forums that say walking around that area is dangerous at night. Believe me, I'd be taking the tour early morning anyway. Can anyone offer insight onto the area during the day and during off-season or also a good way to get there? Thank you so much!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turner Field during the off-season

I would drive or take a cab.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turner Field during the off-season

There is infrequent MARTA bus service that goes by Turner Field. It's about a 20 minute walk from the Georgia State station and I wouldn't be concerned about the walk in the daytime.

Northvale, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turner Field during the off-season

Hi OneMoreRoad, Unfortunately we are arriving via Amtrak so we're not going to have a car. I can definitely look into a cab service.

Hi Stevedec, thanks a bunch. I was looking at a few of the bus routes for MARTA trying to pick one that would drop us off relatively close to Turner Field. I'm glad I shouldn't be too concerned walking around during the day. I'll definitely look into the Georgia Street Station as well.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turner Field during the off-season

I'd cab it but you can take the bus/walk if you have time to spare. If you do take a cab be sure to get the number for the cab company so you can call them to pick you up.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turner Field during the off-season

heres walking directions--just be wary in the area,even i daylight--theses start at turner field,so do reverse going there from ga state

Walking directions to Georgia State University 3D2D

- more info »

Atlanta Braves

755 Hank Aaron Dr SE

Atlanta, GA 30315

1. Head north on Capitol Ave SE/​Hank Aaron Dr SE toward Bass St SE

Continue to follow Capitol Ave SE

1.0 mi

2. Continue onto Piedmont Ave SW

0.3 mi

3. Turn right onto Gilmer St SE

266 ft

Georgia State University

33 Gilmer St SE

Atlanta, GA 30303

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turner Field during the off-season

I would cab it. As JAtlanta said, get a phone number of the cab company to arrange a pickup.

Another option - if you are not driving - is to rent a zipcar.

http://www.zipcar.com/atlanta/find-cars

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turner Field during the off-season

agree with one more---that area can be a bit dicey i served on a murder trial couple years ago, that occured real near the field. Turner field is interesting--the museum is really nice--they should still be playing in Oct, and we dont sell out ofetn, even for playoffs

8. Re: Turner Field during the off-season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:21