We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

Manassas, Virginia
1 post
Save Topic
Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

Will I be able to travel to and from Dunwoody station to Georgia Dome and back on Marta? Kick-off is set for 5:30pm, Saturday, Augut 31st. Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

Yep, you and thousands of others. You can either change trains at 5 points and go one stop west, or get off at Peachtree Center and walk. www.itsmarta.com

There will be a line after the game, so be patient. Also, make note of how you get back to the MARTA station, as the Georgia Dome has exits on two levels and can get confusing.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

going to the game is easy---getting back therell be some waiting/standing--thats why i always drive.i live indunwoody and drive down and back-- i take a back route to avoid the traffic at the exit to the dome off 75--if you want to do that PM me

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
222 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

Difference of opinion here. I am a local, I take Marta. Yes, it is crowded coming back, but with patience it is fine. I prefer that to the driving and parking and waiting in traffic. It depends on what you want. Plus not being a late game a little delay waiting for Marta will not have you back too late.

Note: The Dunwoody stop is popular for game visitors since close to hotels and shopping, so there will be others with your plan. Also be advised that all North bound trains do not go to Dunwoody. There will Doraville trains and North Springs trains. If a Doraville train comes first get on it and get off at Lindbergh station. Then get on a train to Dunwoody (called the North Springs line).

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
222 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

Additional note. Seeing you a from Virginia. I assume you will be leaving before the game is over, so no problem. :)

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

Also note there are lots of activities in the area before the game, including a free concert at Centennial Park with Melissa Ethridge and Uncle Cracker --- plus Dragon Con and Black Gay Festival.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

Would you recommend a different stop? I am coming from Birmingham and don't want to leave my car at the Holmes stop or anywhere on that line. Headed to North GA after the game as well, so Dunwoody area would be good to leave from.

Thanks!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
222 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

If you are not staying at a hotel close by, you might find the Lindbergh station discussed above your best option. All North bound trains stop there and it is close to GA 400 and I-85 depending on how you are going to North Georgia.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

I was going to suggest Lindbergh as well. Or, since You'll be coming in on 20 and want to get back onto 20, Candler Park or Edgewood/Inman Park would be good options that are just east of downtown.

I'll be at the game - tickets just arrived. Roll Tide!

9. Re: Using Marta for travel to Georgia Dome for Alabama- VT game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:17