We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ants in car after parking at hotel??

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Ants in car after parking at hotel??

I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on this for me. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Atlanta, right near Turner Field. Parked under a tree for about 16 hours. The next day, all of a sudden my car is infested with ants - on the window, dashboard, vents. Totally freaked me out. I have never had this happen to me anywhere. Tiny ants. When we stopped, the ants would come out and be on the outside of the car too. We sprayed the car on the way home. Car is kept clean. I would love to know how this happened because then I "might" be able to use the car again!! Seriously though, it would put my fears to rest knowing how this happened. They never got in the back seat or back of the car. Very strange. I would appreciate any info that you might be able to share. Thank you. P.S. Who wants a cheap SUV? (Just kidding - kind of - husband's car, lol).

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

We had the same problem after a stay in Pigeon Forge, Tn. Ants were everywhere 1000's of them!! Makes me itchy just thinking about it. It was my car, I am kinda picky about cleanliness so I don't think that was the problem. Off to the local Walgreens, bought every ant hotel things that they had put them under the seats, inside the console, front and back floors even the trunk. I checked the car an hour later--poof- not an ant to be found!! I'm guessing they marched all the way to Atlanta!!! Oh by the way, we traded the car a few months later-- it was just the thoughts of those things that bothered me

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

Thank you. Just kind of weird how it all happened. I wanted to fly home and let the guys drive the antmobile but they just laughed at me. I felt things crawling on me even when they were gone.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

They crawl up the tires. You must have closed off their home when parking and they moved to your car. Is get the car detailed by a pro and tell them what happened

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

PS heres a link on how to get rid of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tT3p6N0IMY

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

Thank you! I think I will be parking in the middle of a lot from now on.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

your welcome--i see your from my home town-i was from Pelham Bay- way up in the Bronx-We're heading up on Nov---we go every year to your great city

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

I'm sure you'll have a great time! We enjoyed what little we did in Atlanta - except for bringing those buggers with us! Enjoy NY.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

We have had so much rain the ants must have been looking for a dry place

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

Actually, the ants are usually driven to the scent of some sugar somewhere in the vehicle. Old food wrappers, soft drinks that are partially drank but left behind, or some food source (even if it is residue from a spilled drink). You most likely had something in the car that enticed them inside, even if it was just a single french fry under one of your seats.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 00:57
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ants in car after parking at hotel??

Thanks but my car is spotless :). You could eat off the floor, not that I would!