We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City - Rio with a layover in Atlanta

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City - Rio with a layover in Atlanta

Hi,

I am looking at booking a flight with Delta airlines travelling from Mexico City to Rio. This flight has a two hour layover in Atlanta.

I'm concerned that this won't be enough time to clear customs, retrieve baggage and check in for my connecting flight.

My first flight will arrive at the airport at 7:50pm and my second flight departs at 9:50pm.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. There is another option to fly into Atlanta earlier so that I have a four hour layover, however I thought this may be too long to wait.

Thanks very much!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City - Rio with a layover in Atlanta

I would go for the longer layover. 2 hours is probably enough time if everything goes right but if there's any hitch you could miss your connection, and you could have to wait an entire day before the would be another flight to Rio. No need to risk that.

Have you looked into whether you'll need an ESTA to transfer through the US?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City - Rio with a layover in Atlanta

Really ??Going from Mexico city to Rio thru atlanta--seems like your flying backwards--are you coming to Atl on purpose??

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City - Rio with a layover in Atlanta

I was curious after reading your questions, and looked this up. Yes, you do have to apply for an ESTA in order to connect through the USA, even though you won't be leaving the airport. This might affect whether you decide to take the Delta flight or choose another airline that doesn't connect through the US. I will say, though, that customs and immigration in Atlanta is FAR more efficient than what is being reported our of Miami and Houston.

Q: Do nationals or citizens of countries that participate in the VWP [Visa Waiver Program, of which Australia is a member] require an ESTA if they are only transiting the United States en route to another country?

A: Yes. Eligible nationals or citizens of countries that participate in the VWP require either an ESTA or a visa to transit the United States. If a traveler is only planning to transit through the United States en route to another country, when he or she completes the ESTA application, the traveler should enter the words "In Transit" and his or her final destination in the address lines under the heading “Address While In The United States.”

cbp.gov/xp/…WhoNeedstoApplyforESTA

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City - Rio with a layover in Atlanta

Thanks very much for your assistance! It's very much appreciated.

I chose the Delta flight because it was one of the cheaper options that I could find on this date. In researching other options I have found that most stop in either Atlanta or Houston or otherwise have a short stop in Lima, Peru.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City - Rio with a layover in Atlanta

Of those I'd go with Atlanta or Peru. Houston is a mess.

6. Re: Mexico City - Rio with a layover in Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:19