We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta-Perimeter area

Alaska
4 posts
Save Topic
Atlanta-Perimeter area

I will be traveling with a small group of kids for a sports competition at the Georgia Dome from 7/4/06-7/10/06. We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express Perimeter. We have limited time to do "fun" things. You all have great advise on so many things. Any for places to eat and go around that area? I'm from Alaska-how hot is it now?Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

Well, beyond shopping, Perimeter doesn't have much in the way of kids' activities. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby, from Cheesecake Factory (you may have a wait) to the new Cheeseburger in Paradise.

Stone Mountain is about 30 minutes southeast of where you're staying, going via 285 to 78. If you have an evening free, you might take them to the laser show that's displayed on the side of the mountain. I would avoid going on July 4 as the place is going to be jammed with people that night especially.

Mountasia has bumperboats, go-karts, mini-golf and games galore. It's a kid's paradise. It's an easy drive up I-75, probably 30 minutes away:

www.mountasia.com/park/marietta/

There's also a Dave and Buster's up I-75 that might be a good place since you have limited time. They have a lot of different games you can play. The food is soso. You can easily make an evening of it.

And about the heat. It is definitely hot. It'll probably be in the 70s in the morning but in the 90s by afternoon. So make sure you keep the liquids going because the humidity makes it feel even worse.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

Thanks for the info. Where is a good spot for kids? I was told that Perimeter had a mall. Holdiay Inn xpress is on Hammond Drive. Is that near anything? Any great place for adults to eat? The kids we will have are between 10 and 16 yrs old. Thanks for your help.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

I've stayed in hotels on Hammond Drive. You will be close to Perimeter Mall. There are many of the usual chain restaurants in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Perimeter Mall
Perimeter Mall
244 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

Here is the Perimeter Mall website. It has the dining and entertainment options you can check out. There is a Fire of Brazil Brazilian steak house restaurant on the outside edges of the mall that my husband and I like to eat at. They bring different meats to your table and have a fabulous salad bar. http://www.fireofbrazil.com/

http://www.perimetermall.com/html/index3.asp

Mentioned in this post
Perimeter Mall
Perimeter Mall
244 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

Thanks for your posts, Rein!

There's not really one good area for kids. The Perimeter area is one of the best in terms of safety/options/access to downtown, so I would stay with it. Perimeter Mall is huge in terms of stores, not to mention the other stores around it. They just added some more recently.

There are also a ton of restaurants, so many I can't remember them all and many I've yet to try. We always enjoy going to California Pizza Kitchen and it is usally not too difficult to get a table, even with a large group.

The Cheesecake Factory, which is actually at the mall, can be hard to get into. If you do go, go early. We usually go at like 3 p.m. on a Saturday and have no trouble.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

Hey Peachy!

My husband is running his 19th Peachtree on the 4th. My brother is going to run too. He lives in Dallas TX but he was able to buy a number on ebay. They are staying at the Wyndham in Vinings. I won't be coming. It is a guys' day out.

You and JAtlanta do a terrific job. Keep it up!

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

Rein, that's great! I hope your brother enjoys running the Road Race with your husband. Definitely sounds like a guys' day!

We're heading to the Tenn. mountains tomorrow morning to spend a few days with my husband's family from Chicago. I haven't been where we're going before but I'm told we can go tubing, something I haven't done since I was a kid! It will be very interesting for sure.

And you post just as much helpful info. as me or JAtlanta, Rein, so be sure to take some of the credit. This board would not be what it is without your input. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

Thanks for the compliment Reinarubia. I'd probably do a much better job if I could bite my tongue but sometimes I just can't!

Re: the Perimeter Mall area, you're staygin in a very good area.

There is a new shopping center called Perimeter Place that is located on Perimeter Center. I really wish someone would get a bit more creative about naming streets and shopping centers around here. Anyway, it has tons of chain restaurants - Outback, Taco Mac, Doc Green's, Cold Stone Creamery, Tin Drum Asia Cafe, Flemings, Applebees (or Ruby Tuesday can't remember which). You are also close to PF Chang's, California Pizza Kitchen, Houstons, Eatzis, and Eclipse de Luna.

I can't think of any activities for kids around here, but there is a movie theater nearby, and you're not far from the depot on Johnson Ferry Road where you can take the kids tubing down the Chattahoochee River.

Mentioned in this post
Perimeter Mall
Perimeter Mall
244 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Alaska
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

You all were great. Thanks for your time.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlanta-Perimeter area

would be interested to know more about this Holiday Inn Express

Perimeter too.

It sounds interesting but does seem a bit out of the way if I want to go

into Midtown.

How would this one compare to the HIX Buckhead as far as location and

such.

Still trying to figure out which one is more suited for our needs.

TX

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
410 Reviews
Atlanta, GA