We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubletree Atlanta Downtown?

United States
Level Contributor
407 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Doubletree Atlanta Downtown?

We will staying at the Doubletree Atlanta Downtown in February when we come in for one of the largest cheer competitions in the country taking place at the Georgia World Congress Center. recently looked up reviews here on Trip Advisor for this hotel, and have found a great deal of new negative reviews which make it sound horrible to stay at.

We chose the hotel due to its close proximity to the GWCC since we will probably be walking to the competition. Due to the number of cheerleaders coming to town for this competition, and no doubt to other conventions occurring during this time, most of the other hotels near GWCC are booked. I'm looking for some reassurance that the hotel isn't a total dump and that the rooms don't all smell badly since I don't have any other alternatives....Any opinions?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,795 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubletree Atlanta Downtown?

I just read the reviews. It's the former Marriott Downtown and Hilton is converting it to a Doubletree. There is renovation inside and streetcar construction outside. By February, a lot should be different. There are as many good reviews as bad. Considering all that, I would not be worried. The negative comments are about rooms that need updating and that's in progress. The location is great for what you need.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,522 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubletree Atlanta Downtown?

The reviews don't seem that bad to me, and it's encouraging that the manager is reading and responding to reviews. But, I'm reading the same thing you're reading and don't have any special insight into this hotel. I would call the hotel to see if the renovation and street car construction will still be going on in February.

If you really are uneasy, you say that "most of the other hotels near GWCC are booked." Since that implies that some are still available, for peace of mind you might want to explore whether those have reviews that you prefer.

Sheffield, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubletree Atlanta Downtown?

Stayed there at the end of October when visiting Atlanta from the UK. Hotel was perfectly fine, have stayed in a range of hotels and met my expectations for the price in a central location. Rooms were large, bathroom was clean and it was pretty quiet. Gym was in one of the function rooms, but that was an area of renovation at the time. Also close to the MARTA. Like has been mentioned the street car line was being constructed outside but based on the speed they were working when I was visiting that shouldn't be an issue. Unless you are unfortunate this is a perfectly fine place to stay. By the way it is $10 for the internet per day.

4. Re: Doubletree Atlanta Downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:17