We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta Airport International Arrival & Connection

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cookeville...
7 posts
Save Topic
Atlanta Airport International Arrival & Connection

My foreign fiancee will be traveling to the US on a visa to marry me (K1 type visa). It will be her first time traveling internationally in an airplane. She has a flight from Lima, Peru with a connection in Atlanta (her point of entry to the US) and then finally to Minneapolis.

I'm trying to explain to her the immigration & customs process in the airport and needing to drop her bag at a recheck station. I've done this a dozen times & several at Atlanta too coming from Lima, but I can't remember exactly how it went. Her plane will most likely be arriving at E where she will go to immigration & customs. However it seems there are multiple choices for those international passengers arriving at E depending if their destination is Atlanta or they have connections. From the website:

Quote:

"

Q: There are Customs and Border Protection (CBP) areas on Concourse E and the new international terminal. Which one should I use?

A: All passengers who arrive at Concourse F will process through CBP on Concourse F, whether they are connecting to other flights or finishing their travel in Atlanta.

Passengers arriving at Concourse E who are connecting to other flights will be processed by CBP on Concourse E.

Atlanta-bound passengers arriving on Concourse E will pass through a sterile corridor with moving walkways to the CBP area on Concourse F for processing.

So is there a sign here when they first get off the plane that says "Connecting Flights" & "Atlanta-Bound" or something to direct them to which immigration they will go to? How does this work when collecting bags from the sterile bag claim area, is it the same for all passengers on that plane?

"

Also where is the recheck exactly after clearing customs? Is it a drop belt or will she have to wait in line for a delta counter?

My mom lives nearby and plans to meet her in the airport during her layover (her layover is 4.5 hours) so after she exits customs and drops her bag and before she re-enters security, where will she be? Should my mom meet her in F? Aren't E & F connected & there is just one welcoming area in F for both of them?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta Airport International Arrival & Connection

There's a Top Question on the right that explains this process in detail.

She can arrive either at E or F.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60898-c123635/Atlant…

Your mom will not be able to meet her in the secured area, which includes concourses E & F. To meet your mom your fiancee would have to exit security, then go back through security to board her flight. She should make sure she has her boarding pass with her. I suggest that she takes the PlaneTrain to the baggage claim stop, and meet your mother in the Atrium of the domestic terminal.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 04:08
Cookeville...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta Airport International Arrival & Connection

Oh yes that's right, they never exit the sterile area. Yes I read that article before, but it still doesn't make sense about Atlanta bound passengers arriving at E. She will be arriving at E but is not Atlanta bound. Won't all passengers regardless of final destination go through the same immigration and customs hall?

Edited: 16 January 2014, 19:38
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta Airport International Arrival & Connection

No.

1) You do not know that she is arriving at E.

2) There are customs and immigration halls in both E and F. Those for whom Atlanta is the final destination will walk from E to F to go through C&I. Everyone else goes through at the concourse at which they land.

Cookeville...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta Airport International Arrival & Connection

"Those for whom Atlanta is the final destination will walk from E to F to go through C&I. Everyone else goes through at the concourse at which they land"

This is the part I don't get, different people on the plane will obviously be doing different things, some staying in Atlanta, some going on to other destinations. So if she does arrive at E, how does she know where she has to go, is there a sign that says "Atlanta Bound Passengers C&I" & "Connecting Flights C&I."

I'm guessing the Atlanta people walk to F because that is where they exit (I did this once but don't remember exactly) and exit from the international terminal. But they actually go to a completely separate C&I? Or there is a sign that directs them after C&I? Like I asked above, how will she know where to go. It's her first time traveling so I'm trying to give her as many details as possible.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta Airport International Arrival & Connection

If she lands at E there are signs and employees directing Atlanta bound passengers to the sterile halfway to walk to F and everyone else to E. As I said above, there is a separate customers and immigration area for F. Thousands of people do this everyday and as far as I know they haven't lost anyone yet.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 04:46
Cookeville...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta Airport International Arrival & Connection

Yeah I know it's pretty simple, like most airports just follow the signs, but she wants extra details so just wanted to give them to her. Thanks for the explanation and help!

7. Re: Atlanta Airport International Arrival & Connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:25