We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carhire April/May

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Carhire April/May

Hi There -

We need to hire a car for round trip travel from Atlanta Airport taking in Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis, Natchez, NO, Beach (?), Montgomery and back to Atlanta. We hire cars regularly in Spain but USA is new to us and we're unsure of the pitfalls. We're especially wary of 'addons' like extra insurance, 'delivery charges' and fuel policy. Also whether to book through a site in UK - say Travel Supermarket, or, book through one of the US sites like Alamo or Dollar? We will need a satnav as have been told these are really useful but expensive to hire? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Many Thanks

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carhire April/May

The general advice is usually to book through a UK site so that insurance, etc., is properly covered.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carhire April/May

I generally use expedia.com when booking a car in the US, and I've used it for cars in Europe, too. I agree with Steve, though, that you will need to make sure you have insurance coverage, either by accepting coverage on a car here, booking through a UK agency, or confirming with your own insurance carrier. I do know that most British people who come here do book through the agencies at home, but am not fully attuned to the reasons they do so. You might repost this question on the Road Trips forum for more experienced answers.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carhire April/May

Many Thanks for reply and advice. Will look ar 'Road Trips' forum. We're fine re hiring the car and insurance but just wary about being overcharged for stuff we don't really need.

Kind Regards

Val

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carhire April/May

groupon.com has a car service dealtoday loooks like its selling quuickly

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carhire April/May

He's looking to rent a car, not hire a driver.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carhire April/May

Many UK visitors in other forums recommend carhire3000.com for car rentals in the US. I have no experience with them myself - just reporting what I have read elsewhere. I believe they will quote you a pre-contracted rate hat includes all required insurance, so no worries about extra fees. FYI, do not ever pre-pay for fuel - always cheaper to top it off yourself, and there are plenty of petrol stations near the Airport.

-JimG

7. Re: Carhire April/May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:21