We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

five points to congress center

Tampa Bay, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
five points to congress center

Hello, I have become very parinod about the location of the hotel we have chosen. The hotel itself is fine, however we would be walking from the hotel (right outside the Underground and Five Points Marta station) to the Congeess Center. Both in the daylight and back in the dark. There is 4 women and 4 kids around 10 years old. I am open to any opinions!?!

Thank you ahead of time!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: five points to congress center

What hotel is it? You should be fine, although it's your comfort level having the kids that matters. I walked that route as a single woman working in the area years ago and never had a problem. Five Points has a lot of traffic of all types of people since it's where MARTA's 2 basic lines meet. My impression was that people's concern of the area was the volume of people from all walks of life. There is a high police presence between ATL police, MARTA police, and Georgia State police, so I never felt remotely in danger. But it's more a matter of how secure you will feel.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 19:29
Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Tampa Bay, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: five points to congress center

Thanks for the quick response. .its the fairfield inn and suites. We have miles around NYC feeling perfectly fine... but some of the reviews I've read make me alittle hesitant.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: five points to congress center

There may be people who try to sell you things (by calling out about their CDs or socks while you walk by ignoring them, so no more than a minor nuisance) or who are busy trying to sell each other things without the police noticing. Then there can be crowds in general, rather like in NYC.

So while the trek to the World Congress Center won't be the 5-star highlight of your day I think it'll be fine. When you leave your hotel head to the north/northwest and go up Peachtree or behind the station up Forsyth St or Broad St Plaza and then turn left onto Marietta St. Soon the CNN Center, Georgia Dome, and the Philips Arena will be on your left and Centennial Olympic Park will be on your right. The World Congress Center is huge. You're going to do a lot of walking on concrete just indoors.

Mentioned in this post
Georgia World Congress Center
Georgia World Congress...
501 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Marietta
Marietta
Georgia
CNN Studio Tours
CNN Studio Tours
3,002 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Philips Arena
Philips Arena
791 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Centennial Olympic Park
Centennial Olympic Park
3,575 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: five points to congress center

It's similar to what you'd see around Penn Station - to use a Manhattan comparison.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: five points to congress center

I agree with the above comments. Nevertheless, is your hotel reservation fixed? There are many hotel options and alternative areas.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 05:27
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: five points to congress center

sent you a PM

Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: five points to congress center

Underground is a major spot to avoid. I work across from it and never ever go to it. I would really consider other hotels like the Omni or the Glenn Or hotels that are around Centennial Park which are closer to Congress Center and avoid underground. I'm from New York and believe me nothing in New York compares with the five points/ underground area for unpleasantness.

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: five points to congress center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:19