We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

emory visit

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
emory visit

My son and I will be visiting Emory August 15-16, flying in from Boston. We are staying at the University Inn. Is this a decent place? What is the best way to get from the airport from Emory? Is this hotel really walking distance from Emory? Any suggestions for something to do at night? And the next day until our 8 pm return flight?

Reading the posts, I am concerned about safety. Also, I had assumed that we would be able to get around using public transportation but now I am confused. Should I rest a car?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: emory visit

I have been inside the rooms at the University Inn and it is a nice place for the price. It seemed very well-maintained with good service, and was literally across the street from the university. I'm not very familiar with the Emory campus but is seems sort of spread-out so you may be doing a lot of walking.

I can't think of any way to get there from the airport other than renting a car unless the university offers a shuttle. There is not a MARTA train station near the campus, so you'd have to take a bus, which isn't really done by those of us who don't work in fast food restaurants (ok, I realize that was incredibly snobby but, while most people take MARTA at times, those who take buses seem to be of a different ilk). The trains are fine (nicer than the T by far) but they just don't go to the places you'll need to be.

The university is very close to the Virginia Highland area, which grew in popularity largely because of its proximity to Emory. I suggest you drive there and stroll around. There are dozens of restaurants and bars, many with live music, and tons of cute stores. I love getting gelato at Paolo's and just walking up and down Highland (between Ponce de Leon and a few blocks north of Virginia). You may also enjoy walking around downtown Decatur, which is also close to Emory and similar to Va-Hi in that it has lots of restaurants and cute shops.

You may also enjoy catching a show at the Fox Theater or comedy improv at Dad's Garage or the Whole World Theater.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
429 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: emory visit

We've stayed at the University Inn when my husband was in Emory for medical tests, and I felt safe. Our room was very clean, and quiet.

Emory is very spread out--you will probably have to do a lot of walking. Your post says you are from Boston--are you familiar with the heat and humidity in the south during the summer??? If not, be prepared to wilt the minute you leave an air-conditioned building!

The temp may be 95, but a heat index of 100, so please take precautions!!

I'll leave suggestions of things to do to the local experts; I just wanted to let you know of our stay at the Inn. Good luck!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: emory visit

Renting a car, even for the short time you will be there, is a wise idea. It will enable you to go wherever you like because as JAtlanta points out, MARTA is rather limited. That way, you can explore the possibilities and see more of the area. I am assuming your son is considering attending Emory, so that would give him a better idea of what's in the area.

Virginia/Highlands is an enjoyable place to walk around, day or night. Two of my favorite dining spots there are Murphy's and Everybody's Pizza. If you can't find a metered spot, the neighborhood around it has decent street parking, just be aware of the no parking zones.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: emory visit

you will enjoy your stay here. it's clean, convienient, and moderately priced. parking has always been a campus nightmare so walking the short distance will work best. everybody's pizza is located in the emory village and has good pizza, salads and such. evan's fine foods is located at the junct. of north decatur road and claremont and served a delicious breakfast. but i would pre-rent a car at the airport as the campus is a 20 mile ride from there and will be necessary to get around.

boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: emory visit

Thanks for the advice, I decided to rent a car. We will be done at Emory aroung noon on Wed and our flight is not heading out until 8. Is it worth venturing downtown? Any suggestions about what to do during that time? Son is seriuosly considering Emory and I would like him to get a sense of Atlanta. Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: emory visit

I doubt he'll get much sense of life as a college student in downtown, although the aquarium is amazing and you should have plenty of time to check that out. Otherwise, I would say a driving tour of the Virginia Highlands, Morningside, the Emory area, and Decatur would give a good feel for the area. If this is your first time in the city, though, you may want to drive Peachtree north from downtown into midtown and then into Buckhead, just to see the city. If you've got time the beautiful mansions in Buckhead (off the beaten path so get directions) should be a good selling point.

7. Re: emory visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 19:20