We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation needed

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
25 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation needed

We're traveling to Atlanta on 3/12 to attend a four day convention. We'd like to find a hotel along I-85 South that would be 10-20 miles outside the city (preferably near a good shopping area), stay there for one night, then go on to the convention the next morning.

While we have hotel reservations (Century City Mariott) for the event, we'd prefer not to stay there the night before, since we wouldn't be able to get a room at the special event rate. We do belong to AAA & use their discounts.

I've looked at various hotel sites, as well as Trip Advisor & would appreciate any information provided. Thanks.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation needed

Look at Newnan, I-85 exit 47. Many choices there. Be aware that you'll be dealing with morning rush traffic on the way into town the next morning. Allow at least 90 minutes.

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
25 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation needed

Will keep that in mind, thanks. 91 is the exit to our hotel--should have mentioned that earlier. So we'd probably want something closer to that, but we won't rule out other possibilities.

Also, what's the time frame for morning rush traffic? Is it very heavy on I-85 south? I remember when we came in last year for this same event that we got to our hotel between 4 - 5 PM & it wasn't really that bad.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation needed

The reason I suggested that exit is because there aren't really many choices for hotels father north except around the airport. As an alternative, come on into town in the afternoon and use Hotwire or similar to book a hotel in the Midtown, Decatur, or Perimeter area.

As far as rush hour, the main traffic on I-85 north is in the morning. If you traveled north on I-85 south at 4PM last time, you were against the main traffic. Morning rush is 6:30 or 7 until about 9.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation needed

Are you looking to stay south of the city or north of the city? If coming from Charleston, WV, I would assume you are traveling southward and therefor would want to stay north of the city. In that case, there are hotels around the Mall of Georgia and Norcross.

But, Steve correctly points out that you will be putting yourself in the middle of rush hour traffic. I would prefer to pay a little more and stay where the conference will be. Why not call the hotel and see if they will extend you the conference rate, letting them know that you will need to stay somewhere else if they don't?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,417 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendation needed

I would stay at a hotel in Midtown or in Buckhead near Lenox if shopping is a priority. There's not much to choose from south of Atlanta on 85. If you want a completely different experience down that way, consider Serenbe -

http://www.serenbeinn.com/

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
25 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendation needed

Thanks for all the recommendations. We decided to stay in Anderson, SC & give ourselves some time to explore that area a bit before driving into Atlanta the next day. No reason we can't explore some of the options mentioned here on future trips.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendation needed

If affordable accommodations are a concern check out Air B and B. Staying in Commerce, Ga might be an option. Great outlets.

8. Re: Hotel recommendation needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:16