We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta stop on road trip-value hotel recommendation?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
HGH
Superior
Level Contributor
40 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta stop on road trip-value hotel recommendation?

We are passing through Atlanta on a road trip next week. We will be coming from Nashville and after we leave Atlanta we are going to Savannah. I think this is all on I75? will probably stay there 2 nights and just get a taste of the city. Any recommendation on a good place to stay? I was leaning toward the Country Inn and Suites at Windy Hill Rd, but realized I don't really have a clue if that is the best location for us? But something in that price range-not fancy, but clean and nice. Thanks! We are on our way to Amelia Island for the car show there, so Atlanta is not our main stop. Ay ideas for fun or interesting places to visit or places to eat?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,087 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta stop on road trip-value hotel recommendation?

You should look at a map to help you plan your route. You will take I-75 through Atlanta to just south of Macon, then exit onto I-16 to get to Savannah.

As far as where to stay, the choice needs to be dictated by what activities you want to do. Unlike Nashville (which is fairly compact), Atlanta is very spread out. Windy Hill Rd is in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, and a long way to travel (in some bad traffic) to get to most of the attractions that tourists want to see.

You should have a look at Things To Do in Atlanta, check those against a map, and then choose a few that interest you. Also check the Top Questions in the upper right corner of the desktop version of TA for recommendations on where to stay:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60898-c161640/Atlant…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60898-c161638/Atlant…

After you have read through those, come back here with some specific questions, and our regulars will do their best to help you plan your visit.

-JimG

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta stop on road trip-value hotel recommendation?

At amelia be,ready for long lines if your taking the bus. It's,a terrific show though. We usually stay in st marys. But the ritz is perfect . To me the only thing with going out if your way is the aquarium. It's,way bigger than the very good one in chattanoga enjoy the concours show

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta stop on road trip-value hotel recommendation?

You will also need to base your stay on times of travel and what you want to see here. Windy Hill is a good area to stay, but could put you in horrendous traffic as mentioned. I don't usually recommend this because there are better options throughout town, but until you decide on attractions, I would put you at the Westin Peachtree downtown. WHY ?: Has an indoor pool (thats a big plus as many Atlanta hotels do not have one, or if they do they are very expensive (you noted cost was an issue), and it gives you something to do if the weather sucks; the views of the city from the Sundial restaurant on the top floor is great for pictures; it is close to MARTA, the Aquarium, World of Coke, and is usually reasonably priced on bidding sites because it is an older hotel. With that being said, downtown is not typically the best place to stay, unless like you, you have a limited itinerary and time to visit.

If leaving on a weekday morning for Savannah, I would go further south to get out of the traffic and stay in McDonough or Stockbridge (I-75).

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta stop on road trip-value hotel recommendation?

in savannah make sure to eat at the Pink House and eat in the Office room--great spot--they also have a piano bar in the basement where you can order dessrts etc from the restaurant mnu

5. Re: Atlanta stop on road trip-value hotel recommendation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:19