We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stay in Atlanta

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overnight stay in Atlanta

Hello,

My husband and I are flying to Atlanta in March 2015 as part of a tour round the Deep South. We have been planning this for sometime and could do with some advice. We will arrive in Atlanta at about 7pm and plan to drive to Nashville the following day. While we are in Atlanta we would like to visit the Martin Luther King Jr historical site including his childhood home if possible.

We aren't sure of the best way to do this. Should we stay in a hotel near the airport, pick up the hire car the following morning and drive to the site or should we pick up the hire car when we arrive and stay in a hotel near the site so we can get there early in the morning. As we intend to drive to Nashville after we've visited the site are we on the right side of the city to set off or will we need to drive through it. (I've read that Atlanta is a busy city to drive through).

Which ever way you think would be the best for us, could you please give us some hotel recommendations. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give us.

ATL-Cruzers Electric Car & Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Segway Tours
Civil Rights Tour Atlanta
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours, Bus Tours
Atlanta Adventure Tours
Equipment Hire, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours
DTours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stay in Atlanta

"We will arrive in Atlanta at about 7pm"

You won't have traffic at that time. By the time you get the rental car, commute traffic will have cleared.

"Should we stay in a hotel near the airport, pick up the hire car the following morning and drive to the site or should we..."

Have you driven on "the wrong side" of the road before? If not, I'd probably stay near the airport and drive to the site the next morning - after 9 am. Relax. Eat breakfast. Let morning commute traffic clear and then head on your way.

Any airport hotel will do. Take the shuttle to the hotel when you arrive and then back to the airport to pick up your car.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stay in Atlanta

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. I think we will pick up the car the next day.

I've read on a site somewhere that to go to Martin Luther King's childhood home you have to be at the Visitor's Centre quite early as the slots are only bookable on the day and go quite quickly, so we'll have to get up early and get set off.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stay in Atlanta

I agree that it makes more sense to stay at the airport. By the time you clear customs and immigration it will be at least 8pm before you exit the airport. I suggest staying at the SpringHill Suites or Marriott Gateway, both of which are connected to the SkyTrain which runs directly to the rental car facility. You can pick up your car the next morning and save yourself the expense of parking and the extra day's rental. You likely will encounter rush hour traffic the next morning, but I would be surprised if it took you more than half an hour to reach the MLK site.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stay in Atlanta

What you heard about the Birth Home is true depending on what day of the week you arrive; Monday through Thursday have fewer visitors. There are plenty more things to experience at the site, though; it's two blocks long.

I agree with with J and onemore about staying near the airport the night you come in, and particularly with J's advice about the specific hotels.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight stay in Atlanta

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice. We are going to stay overnight near the airport as you suggest, I'll have a look at the hotels you mention as well.

Thanks again.

6. Re: Overnight stay in Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:15