We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

My oldest is attending a one-day camp in Suwanee, leaving us with 4 kids (Ages 3-10) and a day to kill while we wait. We're driving into Atlanta once camp is over, so we don't want to go there. Any suggestions on what to do?

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

You could head over to Lake Lanier. Several parks for swimming, walking and picnicking close to Suwanee. Buford Dam Park, West Bank and Buford Park (might be called Lanier Park) are all on Buford Dam Road. Kid would like driving across the dam, I'd think. You can find these parks on google maps.

Bring a picnic. West Bank does fill up early but maybe not so much on a weekday.

There is also Lake Lanier Islands nearby, which is a Water Park.

www.lakelanierislands.com/lanierworld/funpark

Hope this helps.

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

Lake lanier islands water park would probably be your best bet, or you could go tubing in helen georgia for a less costly experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

Skyzone would be closer than Lake Lanier. http://www.skyzone.com/suwanee

The town center is a good place to take a picnic or just let the kids run around. There are plenty of restaurants surrounding it. suwanee.com/economicdevelopment.towncenter.p…

Depending where in Suwanee the camp is, you're also near Johns Creek, Duluth, Cumming, or Alpharetta.

There's a SwimAtlanta in Johns Creek. http://www.swimatlanta.com/johns-creek

There's a great ice rink on the Cumming, Alpharetta, Suwanee border, http://theice.info/. Ice skating is wonderful in the summer. It is a huge relief to walk into the ice when it's 90 outside. (My son will be going to camps there this summer as he plays hockey out of that rink.) You can check the site for open skate times and then call to double check. They rent skates that should fit all ages for both kids and adults. There's a snack bar that has popcorn, pretzels, pizzas.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 14:08
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

a deal on sweetjack.com just popped up today for a ponton boat onLake Lanier--a 4 hour ride fr $99 --thats a good eal-Its a huge lake,with plenty of islands to pull upon and have a pcinic lunch,swimetc. Weekends are busy on the lake,but during the week its fine.I fish there once a month and its not crowded then.Skyzone is fun too, but if there are 4 young kids it might be hard to keep trck of them

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

Ps. The rental place is paradise boat rentals

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

Some great suggestions. Included in the options listed by catherp is the Suwanee Town Center. They have a very large and nice splash fountain that is segmented into a couple of age groups so your little one might not be overwhelmed. Huge open area and lots of casual eating shops around there. Just down the road is the Southeastern Railway Museum (http://www.srmduluth.org/) that might be of interest. Also, Mayfield Dairy is about 20 minutes north on I-85 in Braselton (back towards Charlotte). Not a farm but a processing facility.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

You don't have to go as far as Cumming or Alpharetta to find something to do. I would second dlwinger's post about Suwanee Town Center and the Southeast Railway Museum. Do check the times and dates for the museum because it is run by volunteers. If you just want to let the kids run and have a picnic, there is a county park (George Pierce Park) just north of Suwanee Town Center. Also, a couple of exits north on I-85 at the GA 20 exit there is the Mall of Georgia in one direction and the Gwinnett Braves (a AAA professional baseball team) in the other. The Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center is a nearby museum that sometimes has good programs on the weekends and also has a Treetop Quest. If the weather is bad but the kids still want to go swimming, there are indoor pools at Collins Hill Park in Suwanee and a better one at Bogan Park in Buford. (They do charge admission. You can get directions and details at www.gwinnettparks.com.) Someone mentioned ice skating--the Ice Forum is just south of Suwanee in Duluth. There is also a Children's Art Museum at the Hudgens Center for the Arts in Duluth.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

Thank you for all the great suggestions! Unfortunately, we had rather bad weather so couldn't really do most of the things you all mentioned. We were able to let the kids run around Suwanee Town Center the night we got in to burn off some energy after the car ride. We also had a fantastic lunch there, at Ippolito's - warm comfort food on a cold rainy day! I look forward to returning to the area and visiting the parks and Lake!

9. Re: Time to kill in Suwanee with 4 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:17