We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction around airport

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Construction around airport

Heard there are some lane changes/construction heading south via 85 to Hartsfield-Jackson. Were heading that way very early in the morning and would like to be prepared for any changes. Will the GPS direction be accurate? Anyone head that way recently? Thanks so much!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,607 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction around airport

Check GA Navigator for construction delays. I'm not aware of recent changes.

http://www.511ga.org

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction around airport

There is all kinds of construction going on once you get off at the exit to the domestic terminal, and it is a mess. For my last flight the shuttle driver took a longer back route to enter the airport because of the construction related traffic delays. I couldn't begin to tell you the different route my shuttle driver took.

I am going to start adding 10 minutes to my anticipated travel time for domestic flights because of this. Your GPS should be accurate and once you get on 85 south (assuming you're flying domestic) you can just follow the signs to the airport.

Are you planning on parking at the airport? Why not park at an offsite lot and let the shuttle driver worry about the route?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction around airport

Perhaps Thats a good idea, but im not familiar with any. We'd like to be at our gate as quickly as possible. I know park and ride doesnt start running until 8am. What offsite parking places do you recommend? When we return I want to be able to get to our car easily as well.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,607 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction around airport

I like the Parking Spot, the original one. It's easy to get to off 285W at the Camp Creek exit.

They are always open.

They offer covered and uncovered parking. I use the uncovered.

Their drivers are very friendly and helpful and you are offered a cold drink (water or soda) on the way out when you check out your car.

I lost my wallet years ago and really panicked. I called and it had been turned in to the office. I really expected the cash to be gone, but it was still there. Very impressed with them through the years.

theparkingspot.com/locations/locations.aspx…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction around airport

" I know park and ride doesnt start running until 8am." Who told you that? Onemoreroad is right. They're open 24 hours.

"Thats a good idea, but I'm not familiar with any." If only there were a place you could ask for recommendations...

I generally use Peachy Parking. You can find coupons everywhere, including Groupon and longtermparking.com. I've used all of the lots at one time or another, and for the most part they're much of a muchness, but I do find that the shuttles are newer with Peachy and the drivers are very, very pleasant. They also have rewards programs and the usual perks - free water, free newspaper - plus a free car wash. I like that they're on Sylvan Rd rather than Camp Creek, as I think Sylvan is easier to reach.

I think it's faster to use the shuttles because they drop you right at the curb. At the airport lots, there's usually a hike to the entrance and you have to cross the road.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Construction around airport

"Much of a muchness" - I love that phrase.

Have things changed dramatically in the last month? On my most recent flight out of ATL (in early April) I did not notice much in the way of traffic delays due to construction. This was on a Friday afternoon around 3:00 or 4:00 PM. I am headed to the airport again this evening - wondering if I should take MARTA instead of driving.

My favorite airport parking area is the West Economy lot. It's on-site, but just a short walk through an area that is very pedestrian friendly (right by the Skytrain station - the only vehicular traffic is the occasional limo or courtesy van). The total cost for a weekend is not much more than at an off-site lot, but it's very convenient - quick to get to the car (not much farther than walking to the MARTA station, which is my other option) and then a short drive to get to I-85 north.

-JimG

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Construction around airport

Jimgin it could depends on time of day or on what particular work they're doing. I was there 2 weeks ago from today about 1pm and traffic was such that the shuttle took another route. I've flown 4-5 other times this year, and while there was construction it didn't appreciably slow us down.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,419 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Construction around airport

One of the things I like about Peachy is they'll direct you to where to find a space when you check in. That is a huge time saver to me. When we park at the airport lots, I can drive for a while before I find a space.

Access depends on where you leaving. I'm coming south down I-85. I like exiting directly from 85 off Sylvan for Peachy since I never have to get into the airport/Camp Creek traffic. If you're coming from another direction, other lots might provide better access to avoid that same traffic.

It's clear that we all have our preferences. Take a look at parking deals and google addresses of the lots to see what works best for you.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 16:22
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Construction around airport

So much good info here, thanks for all the help! I've done the economy lots in the past, but I'm leaning on trying Peachy just for ease and price. I'll let y'all know how I make out!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Construction around airport

I just got to the airport. There was no traffic to speak of and it was a "speed limit ride" to the parking lot. However, they rerouted the traffic lanes today. Signage is good so no trouble figuring out where to go.

-JimG