We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

Hi, I´ll be stuck between flights at ATL for almost 8 hours, my flight leaving at 10pm.

Would you recommend me to venture to the city in order to leave the airport or would it be too risky / complicated to leave the airport?

If you think I should risk it, any places you recommend for an express visit?

Thanks

C

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

Personally it seems like to much hassle to me even by cab, especially if it's an evening/night time layover. Lol then again I get a bit nuts when I fly about being on time and not taking risks such as missing my flight. If you decide to venture out, give yourself plenty of return time ATL is known for it's traffic:)

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
145 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

Between 2pm and 10pm, you can easily leave the airport and take the MARTA train into downtown Atlanta (about 15 minutes). The World of Coca-Cola and the Georgia Aquarium are both right there next to Centennial Olympic Park. If you're back on the train by 830pm, you should have no problem making your 10pm flight. It even gives you the time for a decent dinner after your tourist afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
World of Coca-Cola
World of Coca-Cola
11,615 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Georgia Aquarium
Georgia Aquarium
19,236 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Centennial Olympic Park
Centennial Olympic Park
3,615 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

World of Coke closes at 5PM. Aquarium hours vary depending on when your here= www.georgiaaquarium.org/plan-your-visit/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

There's an excellent discussion on this very question in the Top Questions to the right (of desktop version of TA).

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

You definitely should leave the airport and venture out, anything more than 2-3 hours in an airport is punishment, especially if you have never been to atlanta. If you dont want to see atlanta, catch the train to a movie theater, and then grab a good meal.

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

Thanks for all the replies, it certainly seems like leaving the airport is the way to go. If MARTA is nearby and the city centre is only 15-20 minutes away on it then I´ll give it a go.

Appreciate the help.

C

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,960 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

I agree completely. No reason to stay cooped up in the airport. The MARTA station is right in the terminal, 2 minutes walk beyond security. 15 minutes into town and just about everything you'd want to see is within walking distance from a MARTA station.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

Even if you just venture out to get something to eat and walk around the city it is worth it! Agree with Aquarium or Zoo ideas if you're into that sort of thing. There's plenty of great dining and site-seeing otherwise. Enjoy the hospitality of our great city.

9. Re: 8 hours layover in ATL airport, leaving or staying?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 06:15