We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forsyth Greyhound

Burlington, Vermont
1 post
Save Topic
Forsyth Greyhound

Hey all,

I have a trip on the greyhound to Atlanta, and people seem to be a bit concerned about the safety there. I am naturally a fairly paranoid/vigilant person, so I am not too worried to be honest. I don't have any business outside of the station besides hitching rides with family further north, and back to the station.

Everyone is all worked up about my 9pm departure from the station. I will most likely be there by 8-830, and will probably still be twilight. Could anyone give me some real first hand experience of the area/station, so I can convince the family to leave the army at home? I mean, it's not like I'm some bourgeois nancy with his iPhone and Jordan's.

Anyway, I would appreciate any assistance. I guess the thousands of travelers per day to the ratio of a couple missing bags per day may just be too much for them.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forsyth Greyhound

I do not have any real data on crime at that station. But I can tell you that it is a rather sketchy area with rough looking people hanging about. If you stayed inside the station and kept to yourself, I would not have real safety concerns. I just think it would be unpleasant. But perhaps we have different comfort levels, as the Greyhound experience itself is not something I would consider anyway.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Forsyth Greyhound

I'm with your and JAtlanta's assessment of the station.

Assuming you are old enough to travel by yourself on Greyhound I would think you can stand around peacefully in the station during service hours without disaster. If anyone tries to beg or sell you something, just say no thanks and go back to staring at the ceiling. Your family might be uncomfortable but they probably won't have to be driving round the block long enough to have their rims stolen.

One of my sons sometimes uses Greyhound in the Northeast and says people would ask him questions about the service, as apparently he had an above-average air of literacy.

Megabus somehow is more socially acceptable in some circles, but being dumped on the open city street at unpredictable hours of the morning is not one of their advantages.

3. Re: Forsyth Greyhound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 01:05
atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forsyth Greyhound

It is a seedy area, as most greyhound stations in big cities are, but I would not be too concerned as long as you go straight into the station and remain there. There are a few homeless shelters nearby so the number of homeless is higher in that area.

There is a greyhound station at the airport if your family feels better about leaving you there. I believe they have a shuttle service to the other station if you can not depart directly from that station, but I would confirm all of that.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forsyth Greyhound

Good idea about the airport. I would explore that.

6. Re: Forsyth Greyhound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:16