We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free Restaurants

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
41 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten Free Restaurants

I am planning on a long weekend in the Buckhead area plus some sightseeing in Atlanta. Would appreciate advice on restaurants with gluten free options. Would also live to find a gluten free bakery

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

If you type "gluten free" in the search box above your question, you will see many threads on this topic that have already been posted.

Sorry, I am not a gluten-free person so I can not add any advice beyond that and just doing a simple google search. Good Luck:

urbanspoon.com/t/9/1/Atlanta/Gluten-Free-Fri…

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Gluten+Free+Bakery&find_loc=Atlanta%2C+GA

I am sure others will chime in soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

Sally's Bakery is kind of a whole in the wall place, but it's outstanding. It would be 10-15 minutes away from Buckhead in Sandy Springs. Excellent red velvet cupcakes. http://www.sallysglutenfreebakery.com/

Alon's isn't all gluten free, but they have macarons which are a staple for me when traveling since they're gluten-free by design. http://www.alons.com/

The only completely gluten-free restaurant I know of is way north of Buckhead in Alpharetta. Not worth a drive for you, but here it is in case you're in the Alpharetta area. http://www.tinroofkitchen.com/

Fortunately, many restaurants will cater to gluten-free diets now. If I think of some good ones, I'll add to this later.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

I thought this was interesting from this morning's Washington Post:

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/backlash-…

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
41 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

I was diagnosed with IBS for 15 years. Then a year ago I started breaking out in a terrible rash. I became ill and was on a liquid diet for about 2 weeks, during which time the rash went away. At this point I had a biopsy of my rash. Though I don't have celiac, I still have stomach issues and break out each time I consume gluten containing products. This is not a diet issue with me. This is the only way I can live without suffering from IBS type symptoms and without the rash. Thanks for the information, but it does not apply to my situation. I currently have to drive almost 80 miles from my small town to a Wholefoods store for gluten free items or order everything on-line. I just really want to enjoy my time in Atlanta without suffering and causing hardship on my children. Thanks again.

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
41 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

Thanks so much for recommending Sally's to me. That will be my first stop! Can't wait to actually have delicious baked goods again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

I have IBD (ulcerative colitis). I've had it for over 20 years and it's miserable. Much is made of sufferers from Celiac, but those with IBD see similar results from eating GF. But IBD is not a commonly discussed group of diseases because the diseases are gross - to be blunt. When you don't have Celiac, you're lumped into the fad diet group of eaters.

I remember someone posting here years ago (before I started eating GF) with a huge chip on her shoulder about gluten-free places. I had a very negative reaction to her question at the time. And then I went on a girls' trip to a resort that had great GF dining. One of the girls happily chirped, "Oh, you're gluten-free, too?" when I expressed happiness at seeing GF cookies on the high tea menu. She had just started it as a diet because she heard she could lose weight. Yes, it's a fad. But it's a fad that's also beneficial to many people who wouldn't otherwise be able to eat out much.

So I get it - it's annoying to hear people talk about it. My husband and kids are over it. But for many (even those without Celiac), it's the difference between constant suffering and being closer to functional.

Stepping off my soapbox now. ;)

Edited: 07 July 2014, 16:05
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

I'm guessing it's been awhile since you've had a burger. farmburger.net/buckhead#buckhead-farmburger

Eclipse di Luna has a gluten-free menu that basically just tells what to leave off of plates that have gluten in them normally. But there's plenty to eat that doesn't have to be modified. The Miami Circle location is better than Park Place. http://www.eclipsediluna.com/

Edited: 07 July 2014, 16:22
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

Yeah Burger also emphasizes its gluten free offerings.

http://yeahburger.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

Just saw this on Eater. Looks like a restaurant based on Andrew Weil's anti-inflammatory diet which includes eating gluten-free.

…eater.com/archives/2014/06/24/true-food-kit…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gluten Free Restaurants

And here's a list for pizza - another thing you probably haven't eaten in a while.

…eater.com/archives/2014/03/18/a-guide-to-at…

Looks like your best bets would be Don Antonio and Blue Moon. My husband loves Blue Moon but wouldn't have eaten GF there.